Reef Discussion

scottme

Apr 26, 2015
Lake Maquarie
Three's A Crowd Funny Clownfish
Hi all,

Thought i's share a funny Clown story. I have 2 Perculas and a pair of Occys in my tank. THe 2 Percs have hosted in a Crispa for the lat few months and are happy as, as is one of the Occys in a bunch of BTAs. The other clown has been hanging around the 2 Percs in the Crispa. The 2 Percs hunt the Occy away away and it swims away and then comes back. That has been happening for weeks. Unitl now. I notciced that the Occy has decided to fully move into the Cripsa with the 2 Percs. It's pretty funny whatching the antics of the 3 clowns now Mr Occy, who will now be known as Grasscutter, has set up shop. I just hope it doesn'y get too serious. Will I end up with cross-fertilised eggs? Or will there be a forced eviction?

I also had my Coral Banded Shrimp's first molt. Which is good, because I haven't seen it since it was added months ago :)

Almost makes up for dead fish trauma I've had over the last year.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There isn't that much separating Occy's and Perc's and they will readily pair up and produce viable eggs.

Is one of the Perc's a big female or is there likely to be some attempt to take over the top job?

Bling Fish

Jun 13, 2016
I added two pairs of occys to opposite ends of a 6x2x2 some years back.

Pair #1 was an established breeding pair with a very big female and mid size male, pair #2 was a relatively new pair still two males one small and one big.

It was all out war for a few days. The big male from pair #2 moved into pair #1 and took over breeding with the female, but couldn't squeeze out the mid size male because the female would protect him even though she no longer would breed with him. The small male left over from pair #2 couldn't handle the initial conflict and retreated to live a lonely life by himself in one corner of the tank (I later gave him away).

The three have been living happily together for 5+ years now.