Reef Discussion

Craig

Aug 30, 2012
Thoughts on the Aqua Medic Blenny
Hey everyone

These little Aqua Medic Blenny tanks have caught my eye ;)

I can't post website links yet, but there is a fair bit of info on the web.

Essentially a 40cm cube with a 10cm compartment at the back for a skimmer, pump, ATO etc.

However I've read mixed reviews on the stock lighting. Any recommendations for an LED upgrade?

Cheers
Craig

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hey Craig
some specs
Ready to go saltwater aquarium with proven technology and high quality components. The Blenny combines the full functionality of a reef aquarium in a compact design. The integrated filter compartment guarantees easy maintenance.
- current: NanoProp 5000, located in the back wall, easily adjustable for desired water moment (12 V, max. 7 W)
- protein skimmer: Turboflotor Blue 500, efficient and near silent operation
- light: 3 LED lights (aquasunspot 3x3) with 9 watts each, (14.000K), energy saving LED light with high light output
- Filter: filter compartment with high quality acrylic divider and surface skimmer
- Dimensions: (l x w x h): c. 40 x 50 x 40 cm
- 80 l gross volume

For more info please visit: http://www.aqua-medic.de/index.php?r=catalog/product&id=262

27W over 80L does sound a little on the lower side what corals do you want to keep?

Craig

Aug 30, 2012
Mainly interested in keeping soft corals and some LPS initially. However I would like flexibility to move on to SPS and clams later down the track.

Perhaps I could consider an illumagic or Radion LED which I could dim down to suit the different corals as I move up to the more difficult species.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think these tanks are awesome, but super expensive too. So if the price isn't an issue i would go for it1

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I think these tanks are awesome, but super expensive too. So if the price isn't an issue i would go for it1
what is there RRP?

Mainly interested in keeping soft corals and some LPS initially. However I would like flexibility to move on to SPS and clams later down the track.

Perhaps I could consider an illumagic or Radion LED which I could dim down to suit the different corals as I move up to the more difficult species.
softys and lps would be fine but im not sure if it would be strong enough for sps. you could always add a new light latter on down the track?
30cm illumagic would be my choice. cheaper then a radeon to , 30cm vertex would be nice buy costly!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Close to $800!! Though granted you get lights, skimmer, pumps etc.
thats not to bad, my tank was $1100 just for a 60x45x45cm tank with stand. but it is star-fire so that brings the cost up!

i dont think its a bad looking setup for the price at all!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
RRP is around $700 if you search around.

I couldn't find a 30cm Illumagic. I found a 45cm though, which is probably more suitable anyway http://www.lfsdirect.com.au/products/detail.php?pid=ILLMS001

EDIT: Woops you guys are too quick!
thats the old pricing!
30cm cree RRP is $599
30cm polar RRP is $499

30cm and 45cm use the same amount of leds just the 45cm is longer. id go with the 30 and hang it would look smick.

Craig

Aug 30, 2012
^ I like the sound of that, much better price :)

Where can I find a stockist and updated product/price list? Doesn't seem to be too much info out there atm.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
^ I like the sound of that, much better price :)

Where can I find a stockist and updated product/price list? Doesn't seem to be too much info out there atm.
there new website is currently being built, but you can get them from any LFS and if they cant tell them to contact LFS direct. (lfs directs only a wholesaler they dont sell to the public)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I believe salt at emu plains has some of these they are clearing out for $450 a hell of a tank for that money. I'd keep the lighting as stock until you you change over to sps the lights are more than sufficient for Lps and softies.

The nano prop and turbo floater were way overkill on the yasha, but I think they are a good match for this tank.

Craig

Aug 30, 2012
I believe salt at emu plains has some of these they are clearing out for $450 a hell of a tank for that money. I'd keep the lighting as stock until you you change over to sps the lights are more than sufficient for Lps and softies.

The nano prop and turbo floater were way overkill on the yasha, but I think they are a good match for this tank.
Thanks for the heads up and advice!

Ive just sent Craig an email and I'll follow up with a call tomorrow. Sounds almost to good to be true :)

rodders

Sep 8, 2012
Hi Craig,

I'm setting up a Blenny after a while out of the hobby. I've put a Maxspect Mazarra P series with controller over mine, fits nice and fully controllable.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham

Could be the Yasha ... nice tank but about half the size of the Blenny.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I can really recommend the Aqua Medic gear. I bought a Yasha last December and it set up really easy, brilliant skimmer and pump. The lights were excellent for softies, everything seemed to grow OK.
Then I got bitten by the "must get a bigger tank" bug and made myself a 60cm wide Yasha using the same design and borrowed the skimmer from the Yasha, which handled the bigger load easily.
I did, although, go to a DIY LED setup which has worked out really well.
I'm still working out what to do with the Yasha, isolation tank, frag tank or just sell it - it was too expensive just to let it sit there.