Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Thoughts On Getting Another Fish
Hey all, I'd like to get your thoughts on whether or not it would be suitable for me to get another fish for my tank.

Ill give you a background:
63 L tank.
About 5-6 kg of Live rock.

Fish:
Ocellaris Clown.
Bicolour Blenny.

Inverts:
2 Peppermint Shrimp.
Indian Sea Star.
2 Hermit Crabs.
Stromb Snail

Corals:
Duncans.
2 Torch Corals
Hammer Coral
Blue Cespitularia.
Toadstool
Ricodea.
Button Coral (Donut coral)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I personally wouldn't. I think the fish you have are probably happy currently but you don't want to overcrowd them in a small tank. Getting the single clown a mate could be worthwhile to add another dimension to its life, provided your parameters are in check, but other than that I would leave things as they are or go bigger!

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I personally wouldn't. I think the fish you have are probably happy currently but you don't want to overcrowd them in a small tank. Getting the single clown a mate could be worthwhile to add another dimension to its life, provided your parameters are in check, but other than that I would leave things as they are or go bigger!
I was thinking about getting the clown a mate, I feel sorry for him because the blenny just darts around and the clown tries to follow him but he just can't.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
the blenny just darts around and the clown tries to follow him but he just can't.

That may be why the Blenny is darting around :p

Meaning clownfish can get fairly aggressive (mine for example, is an utter psycopath!)

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Depends on the fish/bio load brings with it. A chromis adds nothing, a grouper adds a lot.

Another clown for sure , but even pipefish, box fish, baby cowfish, dartfish, you get the idea small.

Do check and be careful of conflict.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I was thinking about getting the clown a mate, I feel sorry for him because the blenny just darts around and the clown tries to follow him but he just can't.
You won't regret it, you'll get to see a whole other side to clownfish that you wouldn't see with just one.

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
You won't regret it, you'll get to see a whole other side to clownfish that you wouldn't see with just one.
Yeah because there will be 4 sides 2 of which you have not seen yet.

I suggest mandarin if you have been setup a while and don't mind finding live black worm!

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I would get another clown and that would be it. I have read that if you get one that is a bit bigger or a bit smaller than the existing one you have less chance of conflict and more chance of pairing.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Just so long as the 2 clowns don't gang up on the Blenny. Once they become a pair they do like to control their part of the tank.
This is certainly a possibility, but in both M and my cubes it's not been the case. I don't know if they know the blennies don't compete with them for food or what, but it's like they're buddies. My Orange skunks hang out with Little Moe and her Perculas used to hang out with Buddha. Now they are little shits with the Royal Gramma, they don't get on well at all if he comes near their anemone patch. If they spawn, all bets are off and you'll see a level of aggression that's brutal.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
So if I get another clown, should I get a clown that is the same colour as my current one or would a orange one would be okay?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I like pairs of the same type, mixing clowns, especially wild caught clowns is a recipe for disaster. The Clarki complex are the worst for this, screw up and put a true Sebae in with a Clarki and scales will fly, Perculas and skunks are less aggressive, but they will still go full asshole if given 1/2 a chance.