Reef Discussion

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thinking of adding a clam!
Ok, so most of you are familiar with our fish list in the 10ft. We would like to know if any of them will terrorise a clam when we put it in our tank? Of coarse it'll have to go amongst the rock work, simply because we know the Dragon Wrasse will throw it around if it was in the sand! :mad:. But will any of our other fish harass the clam, no matter where we put it?

Thanks
K & J

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
3 x Blue Green Chromis
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Mandarin
4 x Stromb snail
12 x Turbo snail
2 x Hermits
1 x Bi-colour Angel
2 x Black and White Ocellaris
1 x Fairy Wrasse
7 x Yellow Chromis
1 x Blue Tang
2 x Tomato Clowns
1 x Sumatran Clown
1 x Coral Banded Shrimp
1 x MooCow "aka- Marwong - Sweetlips?"
1 x Cleaner Wrasse
2 x Double Banded Rabbit fish
1 x 6" Rainbow wrasse
1 x Dragon wrasse
1 x Yellow bar angel
1x Lipstick Tang
1x Orange shoulder Tang
1 x Powder Blue Tang

Did we forget anything?? :D

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
On that list, the following I've encountered cases of them at least nipping clams: Coral Beauty, Bicolor, Sweetlip, Cleaner Wrasse, Rabbitfish, Yellowbar, Orange Shoulder, Powder Blue. Some are known to destroy them. Others aren't known to but certainly could. That's a hell of a list, but certainly possible. Just don't take it as granted that it's going to work out.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Ummm, we just don't know what to say :eek Thanks everyone for your help on this. :)
We've added it anyways, guess it'll just be trial & error here. Thanks n0rk, we had no idea that most of our fish may destroy the clam! :( The Dragon Wrasse has had a sniff around it, quite interested actually! You'd think it was going to cock his leg and have a piss on it :p
I guess because we've been playing around in the tank so much over the past few days, they haven't really noticed that we've added something new, YET!
I guess we'll have to just keep an eye on the clam and see how it goes. We'll keep you all posted. ;)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
He is not much to look at yet, but he is starting to open up & look around. I think the dragon is more interested in his shell, not so much the mantel.
Going to have to sit down & have a good think about a direction instead of just picking up stuff cause it's a good price. :( I'm bad like that. I should be taken out the back & given a good spanking! :D
May have a clearance sale in the near future. :(

[Broken External Image]:http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz46/synodontis_2010/10FT MarinTank/IMAG0509-1.jpg

Also picked up these two tonight also...
ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0507.jpg

ai812.photobucket.com_albums_zz46_synodontis_2010_10FT_20MarinTank_IMAG0508.jpg

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
Wrasses (with the notable exception of the cleaner wrasse) are more likely to be help rather than hinderance as they may pick at pyramid snails should they be present. Apart from that, the dragon wrasse is unlikely to be problematic, especially once the clam has attached its bysus to the rocks.