Reef Discussion

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
Nice to see that I am not alone.
I've used my 3D printer to print all sorts of stuff for my tank, including wave maker diffusers, a clone of Julian's thing, probe holders, enclosures for my DIY controller and dosing pumps, RSM media rack, etc.

DIY for me is 50% of the fun in this hobby and the 3D printer is a great tool. Just be aware they plug-and-play type of thing and many brands out there are well know for being unstable. Also, designing in 3D isn't something you will learn in a weeks time.

In theory ABS is the plastic of choice, because PLA would being organic would be consumed by bacterias. However, I have a couple of PLA parts submerged for about an year without any issues.
Also, I have black ABS, white ABS, grey PLA, blue PLA and my corals never complained.

I tried to put a link to some photos but the forum didn't let me.
Looks like Franklin is up to some awesome reef projects: http://inventmarine.com/
And since he is a local we got a bro-mantic coffee date lined up to swap ideas :p
:welcome

Last edited:

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
The Dream:
"ill just sip my coffee while this printer makes cool things for me"

09-20-2012form-1-on-desk00-1348689824.jpg

Reality:

"Did that track loop 5 times? Oh, crap I am probably high on acetone vapor again"

"I cant go home today my 3D printer is running a job so I turned my apartments heating up to 40c "

" Sorry babe you cant use the kitchen sink today because im leaching toxic chemical into it"

Sink.jpg

Neillw

Sep 26, 2013
That sounds like a coffee 'date' I wouldn't mind joining :)

Bluetooth dosing pump sounds a lot like my current project ..
You should fly over, we all need to agree to wear black turtlenecks though so everyone in the coffee shop knows we are serious designers.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I second what @Sam Parker said.
It is an nice tool to have around, specially if you are tech savvy and enjoy DIY. However, it requires a steep learning curve and an on going maintenance and a never ending quest to learn CAD skills.

I built 3 printers before I was able to print consistently and I don't recommend that to anyone. In the process I learned two things: 1. Never build one from scratch again. 2. Pick a printer with good reviews and all-metal parts, including frame and extruder.

The one in the link is made of acrylic and threaded rods, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Have a look here and Sort by highest price:
http://www.banggood.com/search/3d-printer/0-0-0-1-3-45-0-price-0-0_p-1.html

There are some decent ones under $400