Reef Discussion

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
The Crab Triumvirate
And lo, the three crabs did concur that on the night of the blood moon, a sacrifice shall be made to summon the Great Crab Lord, Arseholius and the snails and hermit crabs would weep with terror upon his arrival.

It hasn't happened yet, but the signs are clear. Each crab has taken a point within the tank within the unholy holey structure of The Rock That is Living in a satanic triangle of woe and I'm just waiting for Crab #4 aka The Great Crab Lord to show up after they sacrifice my fish.

Pray tell, how do I rid my tank of these foul beasts without upsetting The Rock That Is Living and the sessile things upon it?

They have injured my little darling fish (who has the attitude of a Honey Badger about it) and I Want Them Gone. (I would rather capture and relocate back to a rock pool or something...)

Thank you in advance!

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Omg. I know your problem.

I had a crab in my tank. It's body was about as big as a 10c piece. I didn't really know how much at affected the tank until I removed it.

But the only way I could remove it was to disturb my rock *shudder*.

Sooooo. I had to literally pull it off. Crabs have exceptional grip on rock, even though their feet look like pin heads. (Weird)

I did try the bottle trap. But it didn't work. I think mainly because 1. My tank is nano and the crab probably watched me put it in and thought "no mate, uh uh, not going in there" and he didn't. Also, 2. Crabs don't have very good grip on glass and plastic because of said pin head feet.

But once I removed the crab from my tank, my fish started swimming around more, my hermit crabs (even the stupid one with the massive she'll ATM, which is wayyyyy too big for her) started to come out more and everything.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
You can try baiting them out into the open and scooping them up. Place a small piece of food in one area so they used to coming out to feed. Then net the little shits up and off to the gallows, or rock pool which ever you choose.

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
I'm expecting to see photos soon of satanic markings in the sand.o_0
When Mr. Jiggles deflates for the night, you can see behind him into The Cave and there is a freaking ALTAR! I have seen one of these crabs upon it in the throes of some sort of possessed shaking state, presumably at another crab. (They shake to and fro :p)

Should I witness it again, I will crab, I mean grab the camera. o_o

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
You can try baiting them out into the open and scooping them up. Place a small piece of food in one area so they used to coming out to feed. Then net the little shits up and off to the gallows, or rock pool which ever you choose.
There is one I can see easily, because he hangs out of his window waving his arms at whoever passes like a freaking bogan crab. So him I can probably snag...the others will be more tricky! They live in awkward places. But I'll give it a go on water-change day!! Thank you!!

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Omg. I know your problem.

I had a crab in my tank. It's body was about as big as a 10c piece. I didn't really know how much at affected the tank until I removed it.

But the only way I could remove it was to disturb my rock *shudder*.

Sooooo. I had to literally pull it off. Crabs have exceptional grip on rock, even though their feet look like pin heads. (Weird)

I did try the bottle trap. But it didn't work. I think mainly because 1. My tank is nano and the crab probably watched me put it in and thought "no mate, uh uh, not going in there" and he didn't. Also, 2. Crabs don't have very good grip on glass and plastic because of said pin head feet.

But once I removed the crab from my tank, my fish started swimming around more, my hermit crabs (even the stupid one with the massive she'll ATM, which is wayyyyy too big for her) started to come out more and everything.
They have a grand ol' time reshaping my live rock, building caves, poking holes in things, plugging up holes with things, yelling at each other across the tank...but an injury on my darling cherub face sealed their relocation. :p (Which is healing rather fast!)

I can pull everything out if I have to but things are starting to grow onto the rock and I don't want to disturb them again. >_>

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
They have a grand ol' time reshaping my live rock, building caves, poking holes in things, plugging up holes with things, yelling at each other across the tank...but an injury on my darling cherub face sealed their relocation. :p (Which is healing rather fast!)

I can pull everything out if I have to but things are starting to grow onto the rock and I don't want to disturb them again. >_>
OMFG I KNOW YOUR PAIN.

reefscaping will contribute to a premature death for me, I swear.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Y'all take aquascaping WAY too damn serious, lol. I change mine all the time and I like the new scape better than the old.

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
@Ranibranch must admit I love your posts. Always make me laugh. You just have a way to make everything exciting. Keep it up :).

Re crab problem I've got the same issue in the cube. Two crabs murdering all our CUC snails. Have only seen sloughs. And the remains of their carnage. Shits me off to no end.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The odd thing is, crabs are shits to one another as well. I'm surprised there hasn't been a murder between themselves yet. They will learn to go to one place to eat, then you can scoop their little asses up and dispose of them as you see fit. Personally, I'd give them the crab mallet. I had one of those black furry crabs, he didn't last long with the Undulatus trigger, mantis shrimp fare about the same, lol.

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
@Ranibranch must admit I love your posts. Always make me laugh. You just have a way to make everything exciting. Keep it up :).

Re crab problem I've got the same issue in the cube. Two crabs murdering all our CUC snails. Have only seen sloughs. And the remains of their carnage. Shits me off to no end.
lol! I get scared whenever I see a crab slough. I think, "Oh god, they're GROWING!!"

Although I just watched my little fish hovering around one of their holes (he was hanging out the window) and neither of them seemed concerned with each other.

I haven't lost any snails or hermies yet! (Except for the Nassarius - they only burst out of the ground at dinner time)

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
The odd thing is, crabs are shits to one another as well. I'm surprised there hasn't been a murder between themselves yet. They will learn to go to one place to eat, then you can scoop their little asses up and dispose of them as you see fit. Personally, I'd give them the crab mallet. I had one of those black furry crabs, he didn't last long with the Undulatus trigger, mantis shrimp fare about the same, lol.
They're entertaining; I just don't want them to kill my fishy darling . :p

I shall return them to a deluxe rockpool where they can do whatever it is crabs do!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I don't want them to kill your fish either. If you want a crab, Emerald crabs are quite entertaining to watch. M had one in her tank we called King Kong because he would climb up the side of the tank and hang on the wavemaker with one claw and pick algae with the other. He REALLY did look like King Kong hanging there, lol. There is also a red variant of the Emerald that does the same, they're great at getting rid of algae, all types of algae.