Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Tests
Ok so i bought my self the red sea test kit. (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh).

Decided ok yes tanks only 2 days into cycle but I did use second hand sand, dried rock and 2 MASSIVE fresh shrimps but I still wanted to do ammonia test.

Thoughts on results

Attachments

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Off the scale!

Seems like you are off to a good start, I take it you have done the bury the two prawns in the sand bed trick? It is a little more family-friendly than the old tinkle in the tank method.

I have heard there are also some good ammonium nitrate products you can use now as well.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Off the scale!

Seems like you are off to a good start, I take it you have done the bury the two prawns in the sand bed trick? It is a little more family-friendly than the old tinkle in the tank method.

I have heard there are also some good ammonium nitrate products you can use now as well.
The 2x prawns are just in a net. I cable tied the net closed so they won't float around.

Do I leave prawns in there till all gone or pull them out??

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The idea is that there is a constant source of ammonia, just as there would be with fish otherwise the bacteria that deal ammonia and nites would starve and die so the old idea was to leave it in there but it gets pretty rank.

The other option is to take it out and in a few days just start feeding that tank like there is fish in there every third day or so.

Did you end up getting any LR rubble etc? usually, the die-off from this is enough and you don't need the prawns.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
The idea is that there is a constant source of ammonia, just as there would be with fish otherwise the bacteria that deal ammonia and nites would starve and die so the old idea was to leave it in there but it gets pretty rank.

The other option is to take it out and in a few days just start feeding that tank like there is fish in there every third day or so.

Did you end up getting any LR rubble etc? usually, the die-off from this is enough and you don't need the prawns.
I'm just using dried rock, but the sand came with tank (I did wash it clean and dried for a few days).
I'll leave the prawns in there till ammonia is 0.
Nitrite is 0.
then ill take them out And do water change and adv fish.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
The method you are going with is what I used to use 25 years ago, there are better ways of going about things now.

Did you want to post details of your system and your goals around this system?

I know its a RS250 but is it stock standard, skimmer changed, lights upgraded etc, are you just going to be running a couple of clowns and morphs in this or is it going to be anthias and sps etc

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
The method you are going with is what I used to use 25 years ago, there are better ways of going about things now.

Did you want to post details of your system and your goals around this system?

I know its a RS250 but is it stock standard, skimmer changed, lights upgraded etc, are you just going to be running a couple of clowns and morphs in this or is it going to be anthias and sps etc
I have a tank journal going

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I have been following that and read your new post.

It's usually best if you do it the other way round and add coral first and then fish. Try to take things as slowly as possible if you don't have much money to throw at it as time and effort will overcome everything in this hobby more than money will for the most part.

When you get cycled and things are stabilised i can send you down a few hardy good looking softy frags for the cost of an express post bag if you like.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
I
I have been following that and read your new post.

It's usually best if you do it the other way round and add coral first and then fish. Try to take things as slowly as possible if you don't have much money to throw at it as time and effort will overcome everything in this hobby more than money will for the most part.

When you get cycled and things are stabilised i can send you down a few hardy good looking softy frags for the cost of an express post bag if you like.
I'd love that, but I'd still give you money for for a.
I was only planning on putting a small clown or two or a fairy wrasse in to start of with.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Tank raised clowns are the ideal choice, just make sure the tank is mature enough - otherwise, it is quite cruel to put them through that.

Most soft corals are a lot less fussy with ammonia etc and actually help your tank cycle better as they consume a lot of waste products, That's why you get a lot of people new to the hobby putting them in first to give them some interest in the tank, help with stability and stop them rushing into fish and other things too quickly.

Fish are also predators to a few of the things you ideally want to have a good culture of in the tank first, by seeding with LR/rubble from either your LFS or a fellow reefer you will pick up your pods etc and up until you add fish your tank is essentially one giant refugium.

The opportunity for seeding the tank/developing strong cultures during this time is amazing,

If you can go with this and fishless for two months, to begin with, you will have a really good foundation for a long-term reef tank, get an insight into an amazing world and add another level of enjoyment to your tank.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Tank raised clowns are the ideal choice, just make sure the tank is mature enough - otherwise, it is quite cruel to put them through that.

Most soft corals are a lot less fussy with ammonia etc and actually help your tank cycle better as they consume a lot of waste products, That's why you get a lot of people new to the hobby putting them in first to give them some interest in the tank, help with stability and stop them rushing into fish and other things too quickly.

Fish are also predators to a few of the things you ideally want to have a good culture of in the tank first, by seeding with LR/rubble from either your LFS or a fellow reefer you will pick up your pods etc and up until you add fish your tank is essentially one giant refugium.

The opportunity for seeding the tank/developing strong cultures during this time is amazing,

If you can go with this and fishless for two months, to begin with, you will have a really good foundation for a long-term reef tank, get an insight into an amazing world and add another level of enjoyment to your tank.
Tbh I will not put any fish or coral in the tank if there is any ammonia or nitrite present. Hence I bought good quality red sea test kits to be as reliable as posible.