New To Reefing

Oct 30, 2015
Teddy Bear Crab
Hi all,
I have a teddy bear crab that hitch hiked in on some live rock.
Looks cool (When you can catch a glimpse of it) but wondering how it will get on with coral etc when I do introduce some.
Seems to be able to dislodge some smaller chunks of rock but is leaving the fish alone as best I can tell.
Thanks

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Get it out of your display tank while you can - they can be coral eaters - I had one that took a liking to my torch coral.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Funny name .. Teddy Bear crab LOL
You wouldn't think so if you had one of those miserable little shits in your tank. I had to use a trigger to kill mine. It killed no end of things until I figured out what the hell was happening. I couldn't get at it with the trocar to stab it to death so I dimmed the lights to 10% and the Undulatus, call sign Rambo, did his thing. Apparently they REALLY like Teddy Bear crabs because he was on that thing as soon as it broke cover, lol.

Oct 30, 2015
That's the best story!
I'll heed the advice and and book a 'hit' on it.

While I have your attention though.
Should I be doing the same with this one?
Another hitch hiker...

You wouldn't think so if you had one of those miserable little shits in your tank. I had to use a trigger to kill mine. It killed no end of things until I figured out what the hell was happening. I couldn't get at it with the trocar to stab it to death so I dimmed the lights to 10% and the Undulatus, call sign Rambo, did his thing. Apparently they REALLY like Teddy Bear crabs because he was on that thing as soon as it broke cover, lol.

Attachments

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Keep an eye on it. It looks like one of the red variants of the Emerald crab. Watch what it's eating, if it's grazing on algae, leave it alone, if not, time to call in The Rangers.

Oct 30, 2015
Thanks, it's eating algae only so no need to call in Seal Team 6.

Keep an eye on it. It looks like one of the red variants of the Emerald crab. Watch what it's eating, if it's grazing on algae, leave it alone, if not, time to call in The Rangers.