Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Tank
Hi I have a 400lt Aquaone tank,when i turn the pump off the water keeps flowing down into the sump and it over flows on to the floor,what can be wrong, it is a worry if we have a blackout and i am not here, the water level in the sump is correct thanks

athawoot

Sep 16, 2015
Are you using any loc line for your inlet back into the display? If it is quite far down the water can syphon back through it which would cause it to drain the display until the syphon is broken, try lifting it up so it's near the top more
Are you using the standard sump or custom?

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Are you using any loc line for your inlet back into the display? If it is quite far down the water can syphon back through it which would cause it to drain the display until the syphon is broken, try lifting it up so it's near the top more
Are you using the standard sump or custom?
standard sump, not sure what you mean by loc line/?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
How far under water is the outlet of pipe that returns the water in to your display tank? Is it possible it is further under and sucking more water to your sump than it normally would?
It is drawing water from your display somewhere, we just need to figure out where.

What the guys are saying is, the same pipe that sends water up to the top... will suck water back down when the pump stops. To stop this from happening, make sure the point where the water comes out is as close to the top of the water when everything is running. That way when you turn off your pump, only the water in the line and a little that gets sucked back down will fill the sump. It should stop pretty quickly. If it does not, move that same pipes outlet even further up. The trick here is to get it high enough to not make too much noise and not too deep so that too much water will get sucked back.

Loc-line is a flexinble black plastic pipe in several segments that your tank typically comes with. This pipe is the one that can be manipulated in order for the end of it to be close to the surface. Minimising the backflow of water when your system shuts down.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
It could also mean that there is too much water in the system, Or, maybe the return pump is oversized resulting in too much water in the display tank.

so bend the tip of #5 up to the surface.... of course don't spray water out of your tank but this is where you need to look at pump supply, and water volume your tank can hold once the tank is shut down.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Is this a new problem? Or, has it always been like it just that you haven't noticed before?
It is a new problem,i just got home from hospital and i turned off to feed and saw that it was running out on the floor

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi @Susan Bates - I hope you are all better now :)

Was anyone looking after your tank whilst you were away?
I had someone to keep an eye on it,best they could,but i don't know anyone around here that know about reef tanks so it is a worry, i might not get better MagicJ ,if i don't after treatment i am going to have to fine a home for my tanks, unfortunately, but i will keep hoping,If i do fight it I am going to treat myself with a bigger better tank,I have one in mind,a red sea 650lt max s, something to fight for LOL

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The main thing is to make sure the outlet end of of your return is close to the surface. It's possible it got bumped, I've had that happen.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks everyone for the help, it was that pipe causing the problem,alway something to learn,I will need everyones opinion on the tank i hope to get,fingers crossed,apparently it can come with LED lighting or T5, the LED in a lot more expensive ,and everyone has different opinions on which is better

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks everyone for the help, it was that pipe causing the problem,alway something to learn,I will need everyones opinion on the tank i hope to get,fingers crossed,apparently it can come with LED lighting or T5, the LED in a lot more expensive ,and everyone has different opinions on which is better
Good to see you got it sorted.

Feel free to ask any questions about the new tank :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Susan, I had an old drill instructor tell me that the dumbest question is the one you didn't ask that got you killed. We're here to help, I know I don't mind helping where I can. I'll admit that acros aren't my thing, but the rest are.