Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Tank width. how wide is your tank?
everyone seems to be going for wider and wider tanks these days. what is everyones opinions on this?
personaly i love wide tanks as it opens up the scape and gives you alot more room to produce a nice layout and fit corals. the only downside is the increased light and flow that is needed.

what size are your tanks what are your opinions?

My last tank was 2.5ft wide, my current tank is 2ft wide and my up-coming build is 3ft wide.
I would personally love a large 4ft wide tank but dont have the budget for extra lighting etc or the space to keep the tank.

My dream tank is a 12 x 4 x 2.5 starfire, zeovit, SPS tank primarily lit by solatubes with 12 x maxspect mazarra LED modules for lighting supplementation.

Hire a truck haha, or get it built on site haha (Again.. imaginary budget here...)
Then moving it around in the room would require some sort of trolley/jack platform on wheels and 10 people or so with those glass-suction-cup handle things.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Im only 18 inches wide - its nice because it fits snug up against the wall however i can see how wider would be nicer for scaping. I saw this great tank that was around 8 or 9 foot deep...scape looked amazing! i think if you can get close to a square footprint you can do good things with scapes, you just need the room for it!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My current tank is a 4x2x2 - even with this width it can be difficult to aquascape to give the impression of depth, especially if you are trying to keep the rockwork off the glass. A 3 foot tank would be great but I would think that it would need to be a peninsular tank rather than up against a wall to make maintenance easier. I struggle to get to the back of my tank now (and I am not short :)) although it is on a fairly tall stand with a hood.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
my current display tank is 5ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft. Happy with these dimentions but would not like to go any less in regards to height and depth.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Currently 2ft wide.. But would love 3. Wish i had money for another tank.. sigh