Help / Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi Jimmy,

The member was just trying to add some content to our forums. As you can see, he obviously took the time to reword a lot of it. With this, I agree with you. It is a little bit too much the same as his source.

However, we have over 1000 posts here, and I am certain that not every single post is a rip off as you seem to be trying to make out. What I don't understand, is as opposed to asking the member if he would like help writing an article without using too much "inspiration" from his source, you go ahead and make it out as though this entire community is out to steal peoples work.

So far you have made two posts. Both have been unproductive. So as opposed to taking the time to read through all the posts that have been made, why not just relax a little bit, get to know some of the members and enjoy yourself?

If this does not suit you, then that is fine too. I can send through some information on other marine forums on the internet. Perhaps you will fit into these communities better.

I would also like to add that there is a report button. If you see something that offends you, you can use the report button to prevent the thread from getting hijacked. It is then up to the staff to deal with it.

- Hope this helps.

It goes back to my question about the purpose of these forums. What is the point of recreating information that already exists, rather than just linking to it?

In relation to these two pages (tang and tank size, and difficult species) I knew the content of these posts were taken directly from posts on ReefCentral. There were two issues I had with it.

Firstly, why recreate the content in the first place? Why not just create links to the ReefCentral pages, with a little introduction line saying "I hope you find this information helpful". If the purpose of the forum is to share knowledge, then why not just send people to where the original content is, rather than rewriting it and posting it as if it was your own work. When I asked a moderator why not just link to the original source, I was told "not everyone likes to use reefcentral".

The second thing that really angered me was, there was no mention in either of the posts about the original source of the information and there was no credit given to the original authors. There is now, but only after I had to point it out in rather blunt terms how out of order it was after the same moderator posted that he did not see an issue with what had been done.

I have no problem with people trying to make information widely known, but rewriting content then posting it without acknowledging the original source is just dishonest.

By the way, I have made more than two posts, but the same moderator decided my posts were "spam" and so removed them from view.

Does bertoni on ReefCentral know you ripped off his post?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007

This is precisely the reason why I asked "why" when it comes to this forum. If all it is going to do is rip-off other people's content, it seems like a waste of time and effort.
I dont personally dont read ReefCentral, so i wouldnt have known this information if it had not been posted here, and isnt everyones sources ripped off others? I really dont see the harm in posting important information such as this everywhere it can be seen, im pretty sure Bertoni will agree. :)
All newbies including and especially myself appreciate these kinds of forums, even if things get repetative its always good to know that alot of people agree on the same things.. otherwise how do we really know what is right and what is wrong??:unsure

i didn't see bertoni acknoweldge wikipedia or google or any scientists/marine biologists in his post, i doubt he got all that information from self experience, if he did i take my hat off to him

My issue is not that it was posted here, but that:
a) it was rewritten and posted as if it was the authors own work (dishonest)
b) a link to the ReefCentral thread would have done the same thing (pointless repetition)

And yes, I'm sure Bertoni would agree that this information should be shared, but I do think he would have an issue if somebody tried to pass his work off as theirs, with moderating staff not seeing an issue with doing so. Dont forget, I am not just talking about this page, but also the "difficult fish species list" that was also posted.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
It goes back to my question about the purpose of these forums. What is the point of recreating information that already exists, rather than just linking to it?

In relation to these two pages (tang and tank size, and difficult species) I knew the content of these posts were taken directly from posts on ReefCentral. There were two issues I had with it.

Firstly, why recreate the content in the first place? Why not just create links to the ReefCentral pages, with a little introduction line saying "I hope you find this information helpful". If the purpose of the forum is to share knowledge, then why not just send people to where the original content is, rather than rewriting it and posting it as if it was your own work. When I asked a moderator why not just link to the original source, I was told "not everyone likes to use reefcentral".

The second thing that really angered me was, there was no mention in either of the posts about the original source of the information and there was no credit given to the original authors. There is now, but only after I had to point it out in rather blunt terms how out of order it was after the same moderator posted that he did not see an issue with what had been done.

I have no problem with people trying to make information widely known, but rewriting content then posting it without acknowledging the original source is just dishonest.

By the way, I have made more than two posts, but the same moderator decided my posts were "spam" and so removed them from view.
Hi Jimmy Anderson,

I completely understand where you are coming from. The point I am trying to get across to you is, is that forum members are not staff. They are users who come here to converse with other members. We try and police the forums as much as we can, but you must understand that a members actions does not represent the entire community, nor the forum owners.

I agree that the post was very similar to the post that you have linked to, and quite clearly he used it as a reference. However, the original author does not state that he does not wish for the content to be distributed or cited. Legally, there has been no wrong doing. Had the author really felt that he did not want it posted elsewhere he could have attached a "You may NOT distribute this article, without written permission from the author" as a footer. I am not saying copying is right, I am just saying that the user is not breaking the law. However, a reference to the original article would not have gone astray. Though, the user is just trying to help and silly mistakes do happen.

If you feel so bad about recreating content, and you wish to bring it to our attention that is fine. But please use the "report" button and I will personally get back to you. There is no point in hijacking someones thread. Furthermore, if you feel so strongly about it, please tell the author of the article to contact me.

As far as "a link to the ReefCentral thread would have done the same thing (pointless repetition)", I agree with you. Therefore I think that in order to make your point on these forums, you should go to every single website on the Internet, and any link that you find pointing to another site you should bring it to the Webmasters attention that they are wasting their time by pointlessly repeating information found on the Internet. I suggest starting with Wikipedia as the entire site is based on citing references.

If you would like any further help please feel free to contact me. You can do this by clicking my username and then clicking the "Start Conversation" link in the AJAX popup window. Alternativly, please feel free to start a thread in the support section of our forums. This way it helps keep useful information in one spot, and other information in another.

Thanks.

Well, it was me that wrote those posts, which originally were just links to reef central; but then some people were like "why come to this forum if its just going to be reef central links etc?"
So i re-wrote the difficult species list (still have more to upload, but writing about each fish is taking alot of time), i hadnt gotten around to writing the tankg-tank suize guide again, but i did write the authors name and posted a link to the original source.
On ReefCentral, the author stated in another post he doesnt mind his lists getting posted on other forums because it would help even more reefers from cramming tangs in tanks that are too small.
Maybe next time just PM me or comment in the post? My intentions were just to share some very helpful information with new reefers to help them making the mistakes that thousands of other reefers have made before them.
Nick

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Nick, I believe that your intentions were honourable. I also agree that important information should be made availible to members of the forum. While an acknowledgement of the source would have been nice, I don't think that the lack of this is something we should all get worked up about.
Let us not lose sight of what this forum is about - helping others, and gaining knowledge. With this in mind, if you dissagree with a post or have an issue, take if off the forums and contact the author directly (as you have already suggested Nick).

Please, lets not make this forum a political staging post, and let us not decorate ourselves by putting others down. This is relatively easy to do. As they say: "The art of conversation is not knowing what to say at the right time, it is knowing what not to say at the most tempting time" (this has previously been published by god knows who but I cannot remember who it was so I will not cite them!)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Just as an aside, I do not read "reef central" information and have never heard of it, so the infomation that Nick posted on this forum enlightened me!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Hope no one minds my thread about the shadow box which I did see on reefcentral, but I found it interesting and had not seen it on any other forums.

Even in reefcentral it was hard to find as not that big a topic......I did admit to having seen it there...hope that's OK

Status
Not open for further replies.