New To Reefing

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Tank Rescapeing And Third Week Cycling. What To Expect? And What To Do?
hey all!

So I went to my LFS today to get my water tested, NH3 is good, NO2 is fine. pH was a bit low however.

Anyway. I got on to talking about seeing small things slowly coming out of my live rock, and he mentioned that nothing bad can come out of your love rock unless you are hearing a clicking noise. WHICH I WAS.

So he told me to take my live rock out of my tank briefly and looking for a "mantis shrimp"

I found it. Killed it.

IT WAS HIDEOUS. YUCK!

But the main question I had was:
1. Tank remodelling. In the midst of finding that hideous shrimp. I had to move All of my live rock - this isn't something I plan to do again- but will there be repercussions from having to move the live rock around?

2. About to enter week 3 of cycling. What should I expect. And what should I be doing?

Thanks all!

My best!

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
hey all!

So I went to my LFS today to get my water tested, NH3 is good, NO2 is fine. pH was a bit low however.

Anyway. I got on to talking about seeing small things slowly coming out of my live rock, and he mentioned that nothing bad can come out of your love rock unless you are hearing a clicking noise. WHICH I WAS.

So he told me to take my live rock out of my tank briefly and looking for a "mantis shrimp"

I found it. Killed it.

IT WAS HIDEOUS. YUCK!

But the main question I had was:
1. Tank remodelling. In the midst of finding that hideous shrimp. I had to move All of my live rock - this isn't something I plan to do again- but will there be repercussions from having to move the live rock around?

2. About to enter week 3 of cycling. What should I expect. And what should I be doing?

Thanks all!

My best!
1.) Not really... not during the initial cycle period anyways. Unless the moving about had let loose a lot of built up detritus or something, you're fine.

2.) Well, it depends on what your parameters are exactly. And are you planning to establish bacteria to lower NO3 as well. I'll post in your other thread about this because it's a bit more specific.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney

I found it. Killed it.

IT WAS HIDEOUS. YUCK!
@Dean Lovett you are good, man !!! from memory, majority of people are having difficulties in catching a Mantis shrimp (once it's released into the tank) ... me is one example.

I say well done but other might say why did you do it?

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
O
@Dean Lovett you are good, man !!! from memory, majority of people are having difficulties in catching a Mantis shrimp (once it's released into the tank) ... me is one example.

I say well done but other might say why did you do it?

I am a good person, I HATE KILLING THINGS. It abhorrent. Except, after I gouged a pen into the hole and saw it was suffering it was the right thing to do. I was under the impression they were 'pests.' But i still don't like that I killed it, the truth is though, I didn;t know better.