Reef Discussion

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tank parameter testing
G'day I finally got a refractometer and an ibc refill of NSW so I'm good to go on changes and testing.

I change 25% a week NSW and everything seems to be doing well.

Now for the tests I just did.
Salinity 1.023
ph 7.8
KH (alkalinity?) 110 ppm
Ca 460
phos 0.25
Temp in the tank is 25.5C

From these tests it looks like my salinity may be a bit low (I haven't done a top up yet), ph tad low but not too bad?, assuming KH is the same as alkalinity its way too low, calcium is fine, phosphate a bit high.

To adjust I believe you use bicarb of soda for alkalinity which should also raise the ph at the same time.
Salinity I'm not sure on, I have been topping up over the past few days using NSW rather than RO but the test I do on the NSW I'm adding reads salinity of 1.020. The ibc is in the garage and the temp is quite cold so not sure if thats giving the low reading.

Just after confirmation that I am reading things right and that I would be using the right thing to adjust, also how do I increase the salinity?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Once calibrated the reftactometer takes temperature out of the equation so at 20 degrees it would be the same salinity as at 25 degrees.
Personally I would perform water changes with slightly higher salinity to balance your display.
Keeping magnesium at NSW level is your next testing practice.
Having magnesium in check will further help your quest in maintaining alkalinity and ph will fall in line accordingly.
Yes you can simply add bicarbonate of soda for raising KH .

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Try putting some NSW in a bag or container and heating it to room temperature - if it's really cold (ie <15C) that could well affect the readings ... I think?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx for the replies! I can't really use water with a higher salinity as thats all I have to use. I'll take a sample to the lfs tomorrow and get them to run a test on it as well. All the test kits I used are Hagen ones but I don't have a magnesium kit yet so will have to get one of those too.

The temp of the water in the ibc is around 9C, so definately cold.

Tx again guys, much appreciated!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
You'll have to evaporate or boil some water on the stove to raise the salinity ;)

IMO i check salinity ,KH , mag , the most, I hardly look at others.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
1.023 isn't Armageddon. Just wait for some evaporation and top up with saltwater till you get sg to your desired level. Evaporation works well cause you slowly raise sg. I would concentrate on getting you alk right but do this slowwwly, followed by reducing your phos. Fwiw I get different sg readings at different temps.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Fwiw my tanks current KH is 6.7 and I am not panicking . 6.5 is the lowest I want it to go and I don't let it go above 9

Looking at your test results of your top up water, everything is in balance and no need to add anything.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Hey mate, are you located Nywhere near the SE suburbs, Vic? ( I can't see on Tapatalk)

If you are you can bring a sample over and I will double check with my kits, you can test my water for comparison with yours (i tested last night) And I can go through how I adjust each.

Also what are you measuring each with - are they all Hagen test kits and a calibrated refractometer?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx for the replies guys and tx for the offer macca. I went up to visit a couple of aquariums today and while at Williamstown got them to check the refractometer, there isn't anything wrong with the refract, the ibc of new NSW (sorry Ken!) or my tanks salinity..............................there IS something wrong with my bloody eyes though! I calibrated it as per instructions but wsn't seeing it right so was .005 out in those tests :confused:.

All the test kits are hagen that I have and now that I can actually work the refractometer properly thats calibrated as well. I know Hagen might not be the best but until later it is what I can use.

I will chill out a bit now since my readings other than salinity seem ok with you guys.

Tx again for the input and advice!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Haha at least you figured it out. So your tank salinity was on the high side, 1.028, rather than low.

I wondered how Ken's NSW could be 1.020!