Help / Suggestions

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
Tank Of The Quarter Discussion
This Competition started of with 4 very different tanks with the top 3 in a very close battle for the number one spot.
Unfortunately this TOTQ competition has become somewhat of a farce with first MTG having to remove his tank from the comp due to a few mindless whingers and now the votes being reset and starting again for some reason.
It has also come to my attention that there was some bitchiness going on that my tank was to new .While this is true I would like to say that all the stock has come from my previous tank, most of which I have had for 5 or more years.
Any way for the above reasons I have asked to be withdrawn from the comp . I would like to thank all the people that did take the time and vote for me and I really appreciated your kind comments.
Hopefully the next TOTQ will be run a lot better and please I do not wish to be nominated ever again, I really can live without the drama:p

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Please stay the course and don't worry about the knockers. You can't take to much to heart to do with Internet forums lol it drives me nuts (not talking about any reef forums either) but you just have to ignore some things. Matt's withdrawal has somewhat stuffed this quarters comp please for the sake of keeping this comp alive stay in!!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
MTG having to remove his tank from the comp due to a few mindless whingers
That statement is quite offensive.
The so called "mindless whingers" you're referring to are infact people who questioned why it was appropriate that a person running a competition is infact an entrant in said competition given that usual competition T&Cs specifically forbade such a thing. My understanding (assume I understand given I was a recipient of the initial concern) is at no point did they ask for any changes to the existing competition be made; only that the appropriateness of this be considered for the future.
So factually the statement "having to remove" is incorrect, and the so called "mindless whingers" are infact people more concerned about the possibility that the often silent majority of our membership might construe such a thing continuing in some way to be underhanded given that such a thing is normally against the rules of most competitions.

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
Well its quite apparent that the rules need to be looked into for the next comp. I would suggest that it should be put to a vote if a moderator can be nominated or not.
After all this is meant to be a public site where people come to learn and enjoy looking at other peoples tanks. Really where do we draw the line? if you have a post or like count over a certain number you cant enter because its a unfair advantage?
Lets cut the crap and just let the various tanks talk for them selves .
Generally I don't get involved in these kind of discussions but I was hoping this forum might be a bit different . But I guess that might have been wishful thinking .
Cheers
Craig

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I think MTG has already clarified that the rules need some adjustment given that there is some concern over particular issues that have arisen. Personally, I'm not against mods actually being able to enter - as long as they aren't directly running the comp and as long as they conduct themselves appropriately.
A vote sounds like a reasonable idea.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I mod another fish forum we have no rules about mods not entering comps. It is a pretty thankless job alot of the time and takes alot of time thay many do no appreciate and saying they cant enter competitions is pretty much out of order.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I mod another fish forum we have no rules about mods not entering comps. It is a pretty thankless job alot of the time and takes alot of time thay many do no appreciate and saying they cant enter competitions is pretty much out of order.
Not sure I'm making a subtle enough hint that there are actually other factors involved that don't really need to be discussed..... :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I was going to suggest that this discussion be moved to a separate thread, but in reality if zeebull is withdrawing then there is not much of a competition left anyway ... so maybe this is a good opportunity to discuss.

I've already given my views to MTG who I know is reviewing the rules etc, but here they are for all:
- I recommend that TOTQ is chosen by TR staff, no voting of entrants or voting of winners.
- This forum is currently too small with too few established reefs to have an open voting system. If there were 10 contenders, of which 3 were chosen for final vote and a winner decided, then maybe ... but the reality is there are only a few and the same contenders are going to come up again and again. Say vp doesn't win this quarter, will his tank go into Q3, then Q4 ... ? And I don't think a reef of that quality should ever be viewed as winning 'by default', but on its merits.
- I do believe that a tank should be established for a minimum period, say 6 months, to be a contender. That is not to say zeebull's reef is not stunning (actually my favourite in terms of look of all tanks on TR) and take the point about existing stock etc, but I feel like it should have some history behind it.
- A contender should also have been part of the forum for a while, and have an active tank journal.

Just my 2c.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
The rules clearly state anyone can enter if there are other factors at play they should be made public.

At least it survived one quarter :(

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
I like the idea of a 6 month minimum, however i would prefer a 12 month minimum.
This would put me out as my tank is only 10 months old but i would be happier to see someone win that has put in an effort over a longer period of time.

IMO It takes damn hard work to keep an sps system healthy for over 12 months and even an LPS one, so therefore should be appreciated and rewarded.

Just head over to the Zeovit or Reef central forums, you'll see plenty of mature tanks earn TOTM etc:

Maybe it could be split into 2 catergories? <12months & >12months. Have 2 winners? At least peoplelwith beautiful new tanks like zeebulls and others will be appreciated as well....

Oh, and im all for the Mods to be in the comps, i disagree they should be excluded. I can see why they might be favoured (really cannot control that) but surely it would be obvious if there tank sucked!

In Matts case, his tank is awesome so deserved to be leading in the race

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

Well, this was little more than disastrous. So here is my point of view and hopefully others will have a similar belief. The one thing I like about this community is its openness. I like the fact that everything is public for everyone to state their opinion on, and they do so in a nice way. I am a big believer that staff members should not be allowed to participate in competitions - at all. As staff members, our job is to see the running of the forum as smooth as it possibly can be. A fun competition should have never caused such a fuss as it did right now.

Staff members automatically forfeit any right to participate in competitions when they are authority figures on a website. I believe this gives them an unfair advantage. I also believe that if staff did not participate, no member would ever be able to use the excuse "they have an unfair advantage". This will allow for smooth running of the fun competition.

So, here are my opinions on how TOTQ should be ran. Here are some basic rules and a simple structure of how I would do it.

#1 - Staff are not allowed to participate in TOTQ. The only staff who may do so are the content creators. This contest is out of bounds for admins and mods.
#2 - Staff members pick out the initial 5 tanks to run for TOTQ. This is a staff decision, and a staff decision alone.
#3 - Tanks nominated must be over 4 weeks old. Any tank nominated will have the age of the tank stated near the tanks specs.
#4 - When the winner is voted by the community (it will go to the polls), the competition is over.
#5 - The 4 runners up will automatically be nominated for the next TOTQ with the community voting on the next tank.
#6 - Users may not vote or nominate their own tanks.

For example user 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all in the first TOTQ
Voting begins on the first day of the second month, with a total of two months to vote the winner
Once the winner is selected (on the last day of the third month) they win the TOTQ
On the FIRST day of the FIRST month, a new thread is made for users to nominate the tanks they think should be entered.
On the 14th of the first month, nominations close. The top 3 tanks with the most nominations go to the polls. The polls close on the first day of the second month.
The winner of the nominations gets into the TOTQ competition.
Repeat

Thanks.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ok guys straight out i think we should just like agree to disagree...i didn't see the other contenders but the 4 that were on the voting panel were amazing...maybe the only rule needs to be that you cant be nominated in a TOTQ more than once a year or you cant be nominated for TOTQ anymore than once a year if you won it that year...then all 4 winners from TOTQ go into the TOTY draw along with the runner up from each TOTQ or something

jus find it weird we can get upset that people are in this TOTQ just cos they're MODs but infact they have every right to be because we wouldnt have a site if it wasnt for them and they're reefers just like the rest of us so what makes them different.

im sure people will cast their vote on who's they prefer not who's it is...i voted for Zeebuls it was my fav...i only know mat through a forum and hes the reason i came here along with aussieant but doesnt affect my vote this isnt some communist site and im sure others feel the same

its stupid to think people will think that if a little TOTQ title would go to a mod that it would be deemed fixed...im sure they could outright say 'oh hehehe im the winner'
803983_o.gif

at the end of the day we should thank those who make the site and give us this opportunity and accept peoples votes for what they are...shouldnt be arguing on here we're trying to be different over on this forum and not turn on each other its a friendly community.

im just saying my 2 cents worth n dont wanna cop abuse from people :) just you know let it slide on the beach whatever it is, it is.

i have a sh!t tank ill never be up to these TOTQ so doesnt affect me...we all have our opinion and have a right to voice it but all im saying is to be mindful and accept things for what they are and be happy :)

anyywaaaayysss all the best

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i think tanks have to be atleast 6 months old to be nominated. any joe blow could throw something together in four weeks.
i think people that dont win should be aloud to be nominated again (by staff) but winners can only be nominated once per year.