News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Tank Journals Are Here!
Hello everyone,

This is an extremely important update and all users must read and follow the instructions to avoid losing their tank journal.

Some users would prefer to let their current journal be archived and start new - this is also okay. If this is the case, create a new journal and link it with your old one. You are done!

Please take a look here to see an example of what a journal should look like.

It has been said time and time again, but this time it is finally ready. All of you will need to transfer your journals over to the new system. The system is very powerful and it will make journals very easy to keep track of and read.

How the Journals Work
The Journals are a subsidiary of the micro-communities. This means that each journal is its very own node (forum). You can have as many journals as you like, you are not limited to a single journal. Every thread created in the forum (update made into the journal) is a new update you have posted about your tank. This can include adding of livestock, cleaning, adding hardware, etc. Users can comment in these updates just like they can threads.

This system takes away a single thread view of your current journals and breaks it up into updates alone. This makes keeping track and reading journals a very pleasant experience.

IMPORTANT - Moving Your Journal
Unfortunately due to the old journals being a single thread, there was no automatic way to move them over. Updates and comments by both users and the journal owner are not distinguished from one another. This means that users will have to manually move each "Major Update" of their old journal, and create a dedicated thread for it.

As an example, John has a journal that is 20 pages long. In these 20 pages he has 10 updates that he has made. The rest of the comments (including his) are just chatter between him and other users.

John must now do the following to transfer his journal across.

1. Create a new Journal
When creating a New Tank Journal (not an update), please only fill in a very short description.
Once this is done, that single update has now been added into his new journal. John will repeat this process, working his way back to the newest "Major Update".

1. Find the oldest "Major Update"
  2. Click "Edit"
  3. Click the little spanner in the top-right hand corner of the editor
  4. Copy everything
  5. Go to his new Tank Journal
  6. Create an update (a new thread)
  7. Give it a title
  8. Paste the post into the thread
  9. Submit it

Once he is done, updates will be posted as normal.

It is very important users follow this in the correct order or the Journals will look very strange. If you are unsure of ANYTHING, PLEASE ask in this thread.

The new Tank Journals can be found HERE.

NOTE: OLD TANK JOURNALS WILL BE LOCKED AND ARCHIVED ON THE 15th OF AUGUST.

Effective immediately please STOP updating your old Journals and transfer them to the new system. Once you have done this, post a final post in your old journal with the link to your new journal.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chrisg_75

May 28, 2013
Newcastle
What about photos in your tank journal.....do you have to go back and get the link to each photo from say photo bucket separately again and add in individually ?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
What about photos in your tank journal.....do you have to go back and get the link to each photo from say photo bucket separately again and add in individually ?
Hello @chrisg_75,

No, if you copy everything it will copy the photo over too.

Thanks.

Hello from France, if I understood, you change a forum for a new forum?

I have health problems that have slowed my passion but I want respond present for share with you.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello from France, if I understood, you change a forum for a new forum?

I have health problems that have slowed my passion but I want respond present for share with you.
Hello @tyrano34,

No, only the way the tank journal system runs.

Thanks.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
I've copied mine over, but it's a very convoluted way of doing a journal, I must say, and I much prefer a single thread with conversations and discussion along the way.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
I've copied mine over, but it's a very convoluted way of doing a journal, I must say, and I much prefer a single thread with conversations and discussion along the way.
It will take a bit of getting use to. Once everyone is settled with the new system you will then see how much better it is than a single thread.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Although locked and archived, will old journals remain accessible? I think I will start fresh and just link to the archive if so.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Me too. I like the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid...:)

Following this procedure does not preserve dates so you get a very distorted timeline, as if everything has happened in the last week. :(

Last edited:

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Me too. I like the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid...:)
Hello @Ian G,

They are simpler than the last ones. A good example is @macca_75. Take a look at his old journal and try to find each update. Then look at the new one. It is much simpler.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Having said that I like simple things (why I married wifey lol - that'll cost me), I can see the sense in the new layout. It will just take getting used to as god said.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Hey bad enough I have to copy all this over against a deadline. I can do without this slowing down every cut and paste. :banghead

Untitled.jpg

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Hi @The Reefuge
I think this ideal will take some people a while to get use to but it certainly has some advantages.

One problem I'm having with the transfer:
When I copy a post across that has photos in it, instead of showing the photo inline like the old journal did it just puts in a link like "View attachment 14458". I think I must be doing something wrong, because I look at other journals people are transferring and some of theirs show the photos.