News

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Hello @Ian G,

As stated before, due to the primitive and inefficient way the old tank journals operated, an automatic transfer was simply not possible. If it was possible, it would have been done rather than having the user do the work. A lot of work has gone into the new system and it was a trade-off that is worth the end result. If a user chose to transfer their old journal, they would need to do the work in order to transfer it. Alternatively they could have started fresh.

You can read about how to solve your image issues here.

Unfortunately due to the servers hard drive failing the other week, some information was lost. This happened to unfortunately include the micro-communities. The server costs a lot of money to run, and upgrading the server to make sure a repeat of the incident does not happen again cost quite a bit of money. It has been fixed and a failure of the main drive will no longer end in data loss. This does mean that the cost of the hosting of the website has gone up. If people would like, they are free to buy gold to help financially support the site. This will give the website better features, faster implementation and more stability.

As the new Tank Journals are the default now (meaning you can no longer create a new journal in the old system) they have been moved to the main navigation menu as the default tank journals. You can access them by clicking on 'Tank Journals' in the main forum navigation (under the logo).

If you do go to the old journals, there is a notice telling you that your are viewing the old journals and it also links you to the new ones. This is located at the top of every page in the old tank journals.

The Reefuge has not gone global. The Reefuge still only has its Australian branch online. No other Reefuge wings have been launched.

The Reefuge is an open community none the less, so users from other countries are still free to participate and have the same rights as Australian users. Information is free and available to anyone who wishes to acquire it.

I would also appreciate if you did not refer to non-Australian members as 'stupid', it is not in the spirit of the community, it does not achieve anything and it also breaks the rules.

If you are getting offers for products in the marketplace please feel free to report it, as it could be spam users sending these requests.

You totally ignore the fact that I DID the work to transfer it & it didn't work after the first 9 or so posts so I wasted my time. I never complained about doing the work!

I complained because on several occasions now I've done exactly as you've requested and it's been a stuff up. TJ's, micro communities, signatures, threads, marketplace etc. and I'm not the only one having these issues obviously.

I'm afraid that as much as I like this community, personally I think since you sold it, its gone backwards in terms of framework. Yes there are improvements but many disasters. Tell me where is the link for average user to find TJ's now? No good quoting the red banner as that reads more about existing users changing their TJ, it does not read as a link to find the new TJ's. How is this better?

You might want to heed the grumblings in the feedback threads, I'm not alone here :(
Don't get me wrong, this is a superior forum to the alternatives but may I suggest getting things beta tested before setting deadlines as you have done with TJ's, signatures, classifieds, etc, all of which have not worked as they should?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
You totally ignore the fact that I DID the work to transfer it & it didn't work after the first 9 or so posts so I wasted my time. I never complained about doing the work!

I complained because on several occasions now I've done exactly as you've requested and it's been a stuff up. TJ's, micro communities, signatures, threads, marketplace etc. and I'm not the only one having these issues obviously.
Hello @Ian G,

I never said you complained about doing the work, nor did I say you complained about anything else. I simply stated the two options you had. These were you leave your old journal alone and start new journal, or you transfer your old journal manually.

You are correct with the issues, but nothing ever runs 100% perfect. You are not the only person having these issues. However, there was news posted about how to fix the problem. Many users have managed to go and fix their transferred journals without further issue or worries.

I'm afraid that as much as I like this community, personally I think since you sold it, its gone backwards in terms of framework.
I am not sure where you are getting this information or idea from, but The Reefuge has never been sold. If you are referring to the April 1st news update about it being sold, that was an April fools joke. The thread went on with users posting about how it was a joke and members were laughing about it. I later posted in the thread confirming it was indeed an April fools joke, regardless of members guessing it.

You can read the April Fools thread here.
You can read the reply here.

Yes there are improvements but many disasters. Tell me where is the link for average user to find TJ's now? No good quoting the red banner as that reads more about existing users changing their TJ, it does not read as a link to find the new TJ's. How is this better?
I would not go so far as to call them disasters, there is always a transition period with change. Please do not forget, everything that has been changed since the birth of this website is now preferred by users to the old systems that were in place. Things take time to get use to and things take time to fix.

In regards to your questions about the tank journals, as stated to you in my previous reply in this thread, users now click "Tank Journals" in the navigation bar (the navigation located above the forums and under the logo of the website). This will take a user to the new tank journals. For your convenience, I have added a screenshot of the location of the link. Apologies for the rough outline, but I am on a windows laptop with "paint" being the only image editor. Please click the thumbnail to expand the image.

tjnotice1.jpg

Also, for the sake of convenience to users who are not up to date with what is happening, there is a big notice that is displayed on top of the old tank journals letting the user know they are viewing the old tank journals and a link to the new one. This was added the moment the new tank journals were put in place.

For your convenience, here is a screenshot of the notice. Again, apologies for the rough outlining.
tjnotice.jpg

You might want to heed the grumblings in the feedback threads, I'm not alone here :(
Don't get me wrong, this is a superior forum to the alternatives but may I suggest getting things beta tested before setting deadlines as you have done with TJ's, signatures, classifieds, etc, all of which have not worked as they should?
I am not sure if you know this or not, I am guessing not as the rest of the community may not either, but, all work regarding functionality and technical work done to this site, is done by me and me alone. Whatever has to be coded that is out of my capabilities is paid for by me, and me alone. This takes a lot of time and effort to do, and contrary to what it may appear, I do have work to do outside of this forum. This means some things (non-reefuge related matters) interfere with the timeline of work for The Reefuge and causes things like putting beta systems out sooner. This is not because I do not wish to make something as bullet-proof as possible before its release, but because I am simply left without a choice to do so.

So, the site can stay still without anything being fixed/modified/added to it and give me more time for my family and outside work. This will however cause the site to ultimately die. Meaning the thousands of hours and dollars I have put into the site, the thousands of hours the volunteers and staff have put into the site, and the thousands of hours the community members have put into the site will ultimately go to complete waste. This is one option.

Alternatively, the other option is to push better systems out sooner which may carry a few bugs here and there. However, with the community helping other users out, and staff (including me) trying to help users overcome these problems as soon as we can, will allow the site to grow whilst we can all live our own lives outside of these forums. That is the second option.

I am not sure how you feel about the community, what you wish to get out of it or what you wish to put into it, but I choose option #2. The Reefuge has had way too much sweat and hard work by its community to simply close down.

Thanks.

Last edited:

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Is there a way we can set the tank journals up so we can see what was most recently updated instead of alphabetically?
Hello @Aspidites
Yes, this feature is getting coded and should be running on Wednesday. It will list the journals in order of activity. This will make viewing of journals easier.

Thanks.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I am having issues putting saved pics from an iPad to my journal. Thebox comes up but will not let me "choose file" to post. Any ideas?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I am having issues putting saved pics from an iPad to my journal. Thebox comes up but will not let me "choose file" to post. Any ideas?
This could be an issue with how the iPad sandboxes its so called "file system" between some apps; I get iPad users at work who try to upload files through various websites (and some of these are internationally used with millions of users) but can't actually get to the files because the devices themselves don't allow the web browser to interact with the location that the files are stored. An awful lot of over-engineering needs to be done to get around iOS doing that, and even then it's a painful process for the user. Not so much a website issue as it is a limitation of the device sadly.

(Edit: for the sake of relative clarity after The Reefuge's suggestion below: the behaviour above largely depends on how a site attempts to access data on the device - there are a number of different ways to achieve the same result that would go largely unnoticed by a PC user, but can cause unusual behaviour on iOS which has its share of um.... quirks. iOS is a little bit on the evil side in this respect, though this particular behaviour does have a very valid reason from a security perspective)

Last edited:

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @Aspidites,
I believe this is most likely a setting in your iPad or your iPad itself. However, you can try one last thing. Go to your account settings and disable the flash uploader. (I think iPad does not like Flash). You can try using the normal uploader and see if that helps.

Thanks.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
FYI: I'm about to have a hissy at the editor
aforum.maternal.com.au_images_smilies_crazy.gif

It doesn't seem to be working properly.

I press enter to add an extra space between the text and the pic, and it just takes me back up to the top of the above pic! So I have to go one letter in, press enter, add the first letter again, go back up, delete the random letter that's now left on the above line, and in amongst all of this, it keeps changing the colour of my font!! *doh!* (And annoyingly for anal little me, there are now so many colours to choose from, and the colour I used the other day in my TJs is no longer there .... *crazy fit*

Any help would be MUCHLY appreciated!! (I think it needs a good smack down! Grrrr)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
FYI: I'm about to have a hissy at the editor
aforum.maternal.com.au_images_smilies_crazy.gif

It doesn't seem to be working properly.

I press enter to add an extra space between the text and the pic, and it just takes me back up to the top of the above pic! So I have to go one letter in, press enter, add the first letter again, go back up, delete the random letter that's now left on the above line, and in amongst all of this, it keeps changing the colour of my font!! *doh!* (And annoyingly for anal little me, there are now so many colours to choose from, and the colour I used the other day in my TJs is no longer there .... *crazy fit*

Any help would be MUCHLY appreciated!! (I think it needs a good smack down! Grrrr)

Hello @TheJordans,

This should not be happening at all. Which internet browser are you using?

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @TheJordans

I have no idea why it would be doing that. The colours are hard coded into the script, so your computer would not be doing that. The only thing I can think of is if you copied/pasted and kept the previous bbcode. If you restyle it in your editor it should work.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @TheJordans,

You do not need to start again. Editing the post will allow you to format it in the way you want.

Thanks.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
I meant "scrap all of the writing and re-write it in that particular sub-thread" ;) Which I've done, and it worked.

Thank you, oh Godly one :D