Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Tang aggression and the damage that they can do!
Hi Guys, I am sure there are a few of you here that keep Tangs (aka surgionfish). Although these fish may look unassuming and relatively innocuous, they are very well armed and quite capable of defending themselves should the need arrise.

I was looking at my tank last night and to my horror, I noticed a "nasty gash" on my dominant Red and Black Anemone Fish (Amphiprion melanopus) just behind the white stripe, near the gill slits - (see pictures below) which just happens to be one of my favourite in this particular tank.

gash.JPG

A. melanopus are one of the most agressive species of clownfish, and certianly in this tank, they are the dominant fish. However, by a process of elimination, and by deducing from behaviours that I have noticed over the last month, I have come to the conclusion that only 2 fish in the tank are capable of damaging a fish in this way (ie. yellow tang and blue tang). My yellow tang is remarkably placid and it is bothered by no fish in this tank. However, the blue tang presents a different story.
I believe that the blue tang got a bit close to the eggs that this pair have produced and as such, the female clown initiated aggresive behaviours. Seeing this as a chalange, my Adolecent blue tang retaliated and as the say, a picture tells a thousand words.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
My yellow has sliced me when it was first introduced (before it settled). Amasing just how quickly and easily they can deeply cut skin!