Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Tamarin Wrasse (anampses Meleagrides)
I've never seen any post in Australia forum about this ... I can see few posts in U.S.A forum but not here.

I know it's a difficult fish to care as it's a picky eater and prefer pods (just like Mandarin).

How rare is this fish in Australian market? to be honest, I've never seen one in any LFS (but I could probably wasn't paying attention that much).

I couldn't find any information in LiveAquaria too.

areefcoral.ru_wp_content_uploads_2012_08_anampses_meleagrides.jpg

webber555

May 28, 2012
Holsworthy, NSW
I haven't seen any for sale either. They're care requirements are similar to a Leopard wrasse, IMO they are best left in the ocean unless you have a very large, mature system.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I looked in to these a little while ago but I decided not to get one because they get huge.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
OKAY ... guys ... OMG OMG I have a problem ....

Orchid Dottyback doesn't like Tamarin Wrasse.

Wrasse is now in breeder box.

What should I do?
  1. Catch Orchid, release Wrasse to DT, put Orchid in breeder box for approx. 2 days, release Orchid?
  2. Release Wrasse to DT, when they fight, use net to separate them for few times with hope it will tame Orchid aggressiveness?
  3. Return Wrasse to store?
  4. Change rock layout slightly and hope it resets Orchid territory and put Wrasse in.
  5. Release Wrasse to DT and hope for the best ..... owner may need hand net to stop Orchid from bullying.
What is my luck with fish compatibility ... sigh ~~~~~~ I'm getting tired with these $h#t

Last edited:

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Orchids are known to be bastards. I would say to leave the wrasse in the box for a few days to see if the Orchid calms down a bit.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Orchids are known to be bastards. I would say to leave the wrasse in the box for a few days to see if the Orchid calms down a bit.
Really? Orchid. ... sigh .. the bastard actually got killed by my YT and yet I can't understand how this is the aggressors

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I think it's best if we change the landscape layout but problem is we like current layout best.

Will it work you think if I arrange a temporary layout (anything simple but ugly) then introduce the wrasse in?

Do you think arranging rocks is the best possible solution to avoid tank mates fighting each other?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have found Orchid Dottybacks to be very placid, although I agree with @Buddy that many dottybacks can be very pugnacious.

@potatocouch - can you post up a picture of your dottyback?

So, you have actually purchased this wrasse - you might like to have a read of this http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-08/hcs3/index.php to give you some ideas about purchasing, quarantining, feeding and adding the fish to your aquarium.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@MagicJ

ai59.tinypic.com_21od89w.jpg

I have *re-arrange* my rockwork; i wouldn't say they get along well but significantly much much better. Few occasions, Orchid will attempt on Tamarin but aggressivenessis definitely lowered.

The look of my temporary aquascape:
ai60.tinypic.com_r05q9u.jpg

How long do you think before I can restore it back to the original aquascape?

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
So, you have actually purchased this wrasse - you might like to have a read of this http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-08/hcs3/index.php to give you some ideas about purchasing, quarantining, feeding and adding the fish to your aquarium.
Yes, I've read all posts about Tamarin Wrasse ... understandably it's very hard to keep one but I'm going to try anyway. micro Fauna, not sure if I have it but I'll try with frequent feeding (perhaps 2x a day), deep sand bed, I do have it ... but I may want to add more sand.

What's your opinion about adding new sand on top of the established sand? just to make it thicker.