Off-Topic

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
T.G.I.Friday!!!
Thank God Its Friday!!! Just got home put the kids to bed, ate a horribly greasy kentucky fried dinner and now vegetating on the couch because Im too exhausted from work to be bothered even getting up to get another drink :(

On a positive note I have 2 days off to forget about everything i have done for the last 5 :D (maybe I will get that next drink....)

Whats everyone up to for the weekend?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
not to much not to much. watching the third matrix while chatting here :P just cleaned the house from top to bottom

Just settling in some yellow tangs tonight :) Moving all my stuff into my new bedroom (Ive been staying in the guest room whilst my room was re-done and painted etc).

Going to my old house tomorrow, to grab some stuff that i left behind int he shed (we just put the house on the market this week).
Then i need to do a waterchange :/
Sunday i will just chill out on the beach.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have been seriously neglecting my planted tanks for the last few weeks and they are completely overgrown and in dire need of a tidy up.... and this is after taking all the crazy fast growing plants out! My new job is really killing my spare time... which is good and bad i guess :rolleyes:

Im keeping these yellows seperate for a while until they are super eaters, (allready ate julian sprungs purple seaweed sheet literally 6 minutes after i put them in their tank...) and then i will put them in an egg-crate cage i made today, in the main display tank to get used to the other yellow tang, sailfin tang, all the angels etc.
Then i need to do some aquascaping so i have space for that birdsnest ;) As well as setup the quarantine tank for my cleaner wrasse.
Then i need to organise the buyer to pickup the 5ft tank i sold, i need to plumb in my RODI unit, sell my 2ft cube and go and pickup my UV sterilizer, flow meter, koralia pump, auto feeder etc which i got off ebay from someone local.
As you can see its a buys aquarium related weekend ;)

Yeah! put up some planted pics :) and a stocklist.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
well come on nick stop talking about it we dont believe you untill we see pictures haha :P

I was just thinking, when everything settles in i need to take some pictures haha.
Allthough my photography is pretty bad, just look at my tank journal haha.
Those were the best pics i could get and i had to use an iphone 4.

Ahh about 10 degrees at the moment... fml.... Our house is modern one and has a huge heat pump running through it in winter. My room is insulated so well that my heater barely ever comes on. I have to open my window bevcause it gets to hot and i leave it open over 4 degree nights. in summer the tempereature down ehre can get to 40 but average is 26

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I have been seriously neglecting my planted tanks for the last few weeks and they are completely overgrown and in dire need of a tidy up.... and this is after taking all the crazy fast growing plants out! My new job is really killing my spare time... which is good and bad i guess :rolleyes:
My 4 foot planted tank is like that. The java fern I bought sometime last year is now about a million of them, and they're all floating around giving my cichlids something to hide between! When I set that tank up last year, having had it empty for a few years, I chose gravel I didn't like (was cheap, and I could get enough of it). Really starting to annoy me now - but.. takes a a lot of gravel.. costs a lot of money... but then there's my marine nano.. and it wants love... so another fortnight goes by where I wind up with more coral, and the poor cichlid tank gets that little more overgrown. :grin
Needs a rebuild anyway - buggered if I can get the pH up in that tank. Even with the CO2 off, I can't get it up to a reasonable level.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Sounds like you need to sell the cichlids and covert the 4 footer to a reef tank :)
My interest in tropicals is starting to narrow, but I think if I was going to keep any of my 6 tanks as freshwater, it'd be that one. Besides, it'll take me a year to catch those cichlids. If they were bream, they'd be plate size in most states :D I'm sure the CO2 unit, and the custom heat controller could probably be salvaged for marine though :P

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Have you tried buffers to get the pH up? Many petshops sell buffers and the ones avalible now days are generally free of phosphates and other substances you don't want in your tank. If you want to get the pH up around 8.3, you could try those used for marine water (e.g. Seachem's Marine Buffer - raises the pH to 8.3 and maintains it at that level). I bought 1kg of this buffer on e-bay for $20 and 1kg will treat up to 4000 US Gallons. Is food for thought!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I have used some of that. I mix a bit in when I do water changes. It becomes a bit of a pain having Co2 pumped into the tank, because that's prone to throwing readings out of whack. I also don't trust the probe on the PH controller for that tank. I calibrate it, and it still winds up reading a bit low compared to pH test kits. Hard to tell then what is just skew from the CO2, and what the actual pH reading is. I never used to have this problem when it was built last - but then I didn't have a pH controller driving the CO2 either. I don't think that the CO2 should affect too much anymore, as it's set to come on at a pH level higher than what the tank normally reads now. I think it's probably time for some new substrate, a new probe and some new visual test liquid. And some new tubes, because those ones are really, really old.

I'll probably rebuild that tank later this year, and when I'm back to having accurate methods of measuring, then I'll worry about making changes. Had enough accidents with CO2 in years gone by to be cautious of changing things :grin

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My sons third birthday Sunday; Clean tank (algae has really started growing on the glass since I started dosing Randy's recipe :mad:); Continue the DIY LED thread; and most importantly, watch the TDF tonight - last night in the Alps so should be good.

There are not enough days in the weekend!!