Reef Discussion

Sun Coral - Pest Infestation?
I recently bought this Sun Coral and my own fault, I didn't look at it closely. The coral had a hole in it that quickly became the base for what almost looked like coraline algae except that it grew very quickly, was a bit stringy and easily pulled off the coral. Unfortunately I didn't photograph the algae type material.

Anyway once it was cleaned off, this is what I found underneath. Image 1 shows the damage. The bottom necrosis is in effect a tunnel where a polyp once was. The top area is in the earlier stages and the polyp still exists beside the necrosis.

I dipped in REVIVE for 10 minutes taking particular care to squirt the diluted solution into the damaged areas. I then gave them a careful squirt of peroxide 3% solution for sterilisation. Image 2 & 3 show the critters that came out of the damaged areas, there were about a dozen of them.

Can anyone identify them please?

Image 1.
20150211_200333.jpg

Sun coral with two areas of necrosis.
Image 2
Sun coral bug - right way up. 2014-02-11.jpg
Here's the critter right way up. You'll notice that it has legs pointing both up and down. I'm assuming this is the upside as it appears armoured and the legs are likely just a deception tool.

Image 3
Sun coral bug - upside down. 2014-02-11.jpg

Here is one upside down (I think).

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
They look just like a small bristleworm of some type to me. Perhaps they invaded an already dying area and weren't the cause of the necrosis? They might have been cleaning up the mess caused by something else.

Maybe a better picture in water showing that hey have legs and not just bristles.

Be aware also that some fireworms look like short and fat bristleworms and can sting you.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Hi Ian, :)

Can't really tell from the photo what they are. Just a few observations though:

- Tubastrea sometimes come in with colour matched nudibranchs, that are specific to the species. Not always easy to see either, since they're superbly camouflaged.
- revive is more 'gentle' than some dips, but is still stressful to an already weakened sun coral
- your coral is emaciated and will need a bit of work to regenerate it to it's former glory and keep growing.

I would use a weak nutrient rich bath (outside the tank and in the dark) for about half an hour, to start the healing process. eg start with a cube of frozen brine squirted all over the coral and do it daily until you see stronger polyps and then you can try richer, more nutritious food. Don't be fooled into thinking that what the polyps catch they will consume. If it's too much or too rich, they just regurgitate the unfinished food several hours later. Finally, keep it in the shade or you'll get invasive algae growing in the region without tissue.

HTH

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately this coral quickly adapted to my feeding regime and extends when I feed the tank, although not fully yet, still I've only had it a couple of weeks.

Once a week I also use my high tech Tubastrea sp. feeder (a coke botlle with bottom cut off) and feed it after lights off with either live bbs, reefroids with added aminos, lobster eggs, etc. I leave the enclosure in place for a couple of hours so it essentially gets a nutrient dip.
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_thumbsup.gif

NB. within minutes of this treatment last night, it was beginning to extend again as I had fed the tank with blackworms and after putting "Sunny" (blame the kids - yes that's my excuse & I'm sticking with it no matter how lame) back in place I turned the powerheads back on and stirred up the food.