Reef Discussion

Misspr

Sep 1, 2013
Sump Flow Rate!
So, I didn't take into account the air that gets sucked into the protein skimmer and got a pump that pumps the same amount of water that is pumped into the skimmer! Bloody disaster! And frustrated! We got a pump that is supposed to be adjustable but it still sucks too much water out! I have silicones the space up hoping to lower the amount of water flow but it is a maybe. I'm worried it will overflow when I'm not home or sleeping. The skimmer I got didn't come with a pump. Is there a skimmer that will do it all for me? Or is this a hit and miss till we get the right flow?

Misspr

Misspr

Sep 1, 2013
Wow! I thought I had it! Tried the sump and skimmer in the garage first. Many over/under flows then after 2 hours of it seeming right I popped it in the tank. DISASTER! Flooded my lounge room. I thought I'd have disappointments but not like that. Maybe a cpl lost fish but this has done it for me. I think I'll give this a miss :(

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hey, come on don't give up.
Try posting some more information and maybe a diagram of what you're working with.
There are a number of members here that can sort out your problem, that's what this place is all about.

Thmpar

Mar 2, 2013
Bendigo
Why not 'T' piece the return hose back into the last chamber before the return pump, or back to the first chamber,
Have seen lots of these style setups and will be looming at doing the same for mine as a backup when I get it finished.

Misspr

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah man! I'm gona give that a go for sure! I just set the tank up again without the sump, turned the light on and thought nah, I can't give up. I only have rock in mind you! Lol but even the little creatures that come with that are cool!

Thanks for the advice folks! ;)

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
You shoul still post some pics of your setup that way we can give you more precise directions :)