New To Reefing

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Sump Build
Just about to start making an above tank sump from acrylic . I have all my pieces cut sanded and ready to go. Anyone ever worked with acrylic before... got any tips?

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Using no 4 solvent and have no16 as a back up if my joints are no good... will probably run a bead with the no 16 in the corners once i finished for piece of mind

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I am interested in this too.

I have found a bit of info off the internet if you would like let me know and I'll dig up the sources.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
I am interested in this too.

I have found a bit of info off the internet if you would like let me know and I'll dig up the sources.
i have done a little research already... have half an idea. I have done two joins tonight and alls looking good, one air bubble, so I am going to pull back out the sand paper and block to do some more prep on the other pieces... the acrylic was too expensive to balls this up.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
i have done a little research already... have half an idea. I have done two joins tonight and alls looking good, one air bubble, so I am going to pull back out the sand paper and block to do some more prep on the other pieces... the acrylic was too expensive to balls this up.
I have some pieces I found on a clean up that I intend to use to practice with.

I want to build a small internal sump/refugium for inside my tank. Basically to contain a skimmer and matrix and to grow some macro algae.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
I have some pieces I found on a clean up that I intend to use to practice with.

I want to build a small internal sump/refugium for inside my tank. Basically to contain a skimmer and matrix and to grow some macro algae.
That was my original plan and eventually i got more ambitious.. this isn't going to be a big sump.. its to replace my wet dry canister filter... its going to be the same length and width and alot higher to accommodate my skimmer reactor and to grow some macro.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I was thinking along similar lines. I want to build a chamber that can sit adjacent to my central weir. I will sit my internal hang-on skimmer inside the chamber, but with the outflow from the skimmer going into the weir. At the bottom of the chamber I want to have matrix and hopefully this will be a low oxygen area and encourage anearbic bacteria. Also, above the matrix and also inside the weir, I want a ball or two of Chaeto.

The weir will be plugged as I don't want to use the sump below, at this stage.

The advantages are that the water flow will be via the skimmer pump and the light source will be from the aquarium light.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Actually, I was thinking of having the skimmer uptake located inside the weir and the skimmer output into the main tank. So, water will be drawn into the chamber and then into the weir.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Actually, I was thinking of having the skimmer uptake located inside the weir and the skimmer output into the main tank. So, water will be drawn into the chamber and then into the weir.
I say go for it. Get yourself some measurements and a plan and have a crack at it. Im having good success so far. I guess biggest thing is good cuts and prep work. I used a jig saw with a pvc blade and a level as a straight edge to run the saw down, then 120 grit paper on a long block to sand out any saw marks. Dummy run it with masking tape to make sure it all fits together. Set it up well then into it.... take your time, the no.4 solvent runs like water and goes off by the time you count to four... and like i said, going to run no.16 solvent which is more like syrup in the corners just for piece if mind to make sure its water tight......... measure twice cut/glue once....prep is everything.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
1456393242407626973868.jpg
so far so good. Going to let this set for 7 days to obtain max strength then fill it with water to test for leaks... feeling pretty confident the seams are crystal clear with no bubbles. I won't lie, it was tricky welding on the last sheet.
Now Im starting to wonder how am I going to change from the canister to this on the fly?????is the canister actually doing much? Im not sure.. any ideas out there?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Instead of returning canister to tank, return it to sump and then sump to tank (if you can match pumps, otherwise have the canister draw from and return to sump) to help "seed" the new sump. Should be sweet

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
There
View attachment 53259 so far so good. Going to let this set for 7 days to obtain max strength then fill it with water to test for leaks... feeling pretty confident the seams are crystal clear with no bubbles. I won't lie, it was tricky welding on the last sheet.
Now Im starting to wonder how am I going to change from the canister to this on the fly?????is the canister actually doing much? Im not sure.. any ideas out there?
After looking at your finished product, there's no way I'm going to post pictures of what I end up making. I will just describe it.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Instead of returning canister to tank, return it to sump and then sump to tank (if you can match pumps, otherwise have the canister draw from and return to sump) to help "seed" the new sump. Should be sweet
There

After looking at your finished product, there's no way I'm going to post pictures of what I end up making. I will just describe it.
Cheers..still would like to see what you fab up... Happy to give advice in any way I can.

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Hi, Im looking into doing some Acrylic work but Im struggling to find any glue locally. The only place I found is online and its #3 500ml for $40 plus $10 for an applicator. Im only making an Algae Scrubber and little pieces. Where do you all get your glue?

MaccaPopEye

Nov 4, 2015
Unfortunately I can't find the website I got my Weldon #4 from but it is now for sale on guppy's too
http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...l-glue-for-plastic-acrylic-polycarbonate.html

Whatever the website was that I got mine from it was about the same price (I think $35 for the same amount). And when I bought mine I was looking for weeks until I found that website. Found it for sale at a couple of other places but all refused to ship it.

If you want WO #16 too then 100% reef safe have it for almost half the price of guppy's
http://www.100percentreefsafe.com.au/index.php/shop#!/WELD-ON-1-5-44ml/p/5699152/category=1400300

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Hi, Im looking into doing some Acrylic work but Im struggling to find any glue locally. The only place I found is online and its #3 500ml for $40 plus $10 for an applicator. Im only making an Algae Scrubber and little pieces. Where do you all get your glue?
I bought mine on ebay.