Reef Discussion

markfresh

Jul 17, 2018
Sump Acrylic Bunnings
Hi,
i was looking to turn a spare 2ft tank into a sump,
does anyone know if bunnings sells clear aquarium safe acrylic or similar , or if not suggest somewhere that does .
thanks mark

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Hi,
i was looking to turn a spare 2ft tank into a sump,
does anyone know if bunnings sells clear aquarium safe acrylic or similar , or if not suggest somewhere that does .
thanks mark
Hey markfresh. I can give you some names on the sunshin coast but if you google perspex/plastics supplier in your area their will be a heap. Thats all i did. Not sure what bunnings do. If you go to a perspex supplier they are usually happy to cut it to size for you and is fairly cheap.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Yep. Alot of items in aquriams are made of perspex incuding sumps etc. Let them know what you want it for and make sure it is food grade if they have the option

markfresh

Jul 17, 2018
Yep. Alot of items in aquriams are made of perspex incuding sumps etc. Let them know what you want it for and make sure it is food grade if they have the option[/QUOTE]
ok will do , i found a place that cuts it to size ill pop my head in tomorrow.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Yep. Alot of items in aquriams are made of perspex incuding sumps etc. Let them know what you want it for and make sure it is food grade if they have the option
ok will do , i found a place that cuts it to size ill pop my head in tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Nice let us know how you go. I used aquriam silicone from bunnings to adhere my perspex over flow to my tank. Some people have had issues with silicon sticking to perspex but a lot of people including my self have not had an issue.

My 3 foot tank i converted to a sump i just got glass cut for it as it was cheap also easy to work with.

markfresh

Jul 17, 2018
I had a look at the bunnings site apparently there is a couple , ill ask a team member which is good for perpex
soon find out.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Last time I checked at a bunnings a few years ago they only had the think sheets which would be useless. Just go to a local plastics factory as it will be cheaper from them anyway. They will also be able to cut it to your sizes.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Glass and Perspex don’t glue together.
Bunnings do the sheets like 4mm thick and say 500 x 700 approx from memory.