Reef Discussion

sugar

Jan 7, 2016
Stuff Growing
I have a good look in my tank everyday as it fascinates me. I get my phone out and turn on the camera and zoom in and have a closer look at the rocks and corals and here are a few pics of things growing on my coral and rocks :)

20160125_230849.jpg
20160125_230741.jpg
20160125_231319.jpg

sugar

Jan 7, 2016
Yeah there is not much in my tank at the moment that i have put in there...
4 hermit crabs 1 tronchus snail and 1 stromb snail 1 peppermint shrimp the whip coral and the xenia coral.

I did have a turbo snail but he died ( not sure why ).

E

ezza

In the first photo, the thing that looks like a tree or flower stalk is a colonial hydroid colony. They develop out of that stalk and proliferate around the tank. For the first year of my system I was in a panic about them. They're a kind of microscopic jellyfish. I have learnt that there is no issue with them at all. They're harmless, even if they cover your rocks it will be fine.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
In the first photo, the thing that looks like a tree or flower stalk is a colonial hydroid colony. ... They're harmless, even if they cover your rocks it will be fine.
I agree with the ID, although not so sure about the second statement. I understood that their sting was very potent and will kill neighboring corals - I know they can be devastating in a larvae/fry tank.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Getting new live rock for me is one of the most exciting parts of the hobby.

Make sure you buy a red light torch and explore when the lights are out.

I am aware that last sentence sounds very dodgy.

E

ezza

I agree with the ID, although not so sure about the second statement. I understood that their sting was very potent and will kill neighboring corals - I know they can be devastating in a larvae/fry tank.
They have covered every available rock space in my tank at times. They've been there from day 1- so 3 years ish. I researched heavily and was terrified by those same reports. I think it's logical that they would cause harm in a fry tank due to their size and impact on such small things, but I haven't seen any issues with my aquarium. I never had a fish show signs of irritation. My corals have also been fine. I tried many methods to remove them and really never succeeded. I have a Sea Hare now, there are a few animals like nudibranchs reported to consume them, but they are hard to find.

Aside from a breeding system- and generally while just starting out with hardier basic corals, I don't think it's anything to stress about. If you don't want them, you need to remove the entire branch system, which may be under the rock to start with. They grow out of the branch like a bunch of flowers and then float away in the medusa phase to live independently.