Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Store Credit, Yt, Isolation ... Misc Questions
Hi All,

Yesterday we were in luck to find another Orchid dottyback and we've decided to purchase it, but we have it all planned out; we will be catching the YT first, putting it into the breeding box and releasing the Orchid.

We managed to do all of that. The new Orchid seems to be okay; no one is harassing it.

On to my questions:
  1. Store credit; how does it work? How much do you usually get it back? Is it better to sell them privately? both $ and fish well-being?
  2. As I only have time to return it to store on the weekend, do you reckon YT be okay in the breeding box for another 5 days?
  3. Water Change; I need to perform the ritual today and with the breeding box, it doesn't make it easier. What would be the easiest way to do without disturbing the breeding box? Do I just have to manually adjust it lower then re-adjust back to water height once topped-up?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I should be putting the YT back into the DT? Once territorial, it will be territorial? Although we have to do the hard work by moving the rocks ... aquascape slightly changed ... but don't think this will make YT less territorial. I could be wrong though ... what is your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Potato

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
  1. Not sure as I have never done it :). You will probably be better off selling it privately
  2. Within 5 days in a small breeding box, the YT will be stressed - stress subsequently leads to other problems. Personally, I wouldn't do it.
  3. Mucking abou in the tank will just create more stress - leave the water change until you sort the YT out.

Agression generally occours when one fish considers another fish as a rival - this can be becasue they are of a similar colour; a similar shape; or maintain a similar position within the aquarium i.e. a bottom dweller etc.

I can offer no guarantees, but a yellow tang and orchid dottyback are almost as different as two fish can be when considering these criteria.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Aggression generally occurs when one fish considers another fish as a rival - this can be because they are of a similar colour; a similar shape; or maintain a similar position within the aquarium i.e. a bottom dweller etc.

I can offer no guarantees, but a yellow tang and orchid dottyback are almost as different as two fish can be when considering these criteria.
That is why it boggles my mind every time I mentioned it to 2 different LFS guy, they were surprised that YT is bullying DB; they either live happily ever after side by side or DB is the one that bullies YT and not the other way around. In my case, this is one special YT.

Every time I buy new fish, I would usually consider compatibility (yes, you probably can fail me for having YT in 55G tank, but my only argument is it's still a juvenile :)) ....anyway back to the point, compatibility chart sometimes means nothing; every individual fish has its own characteristic and it is impossible to guess until you put it into the tank and see its behaviour.

@MagicJ do you think with 2 clowns and 1 DB, can I now put in Anthias Ventralis?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
....anyway back to the point, compatibility chart sometimes means nothing; every individual fish has its own characteristic and it is impossible to guess until you put it into the tank and see its behaviour.
Totally agree, although it can also be influenced by the environment the fish is placed in.

@MagicJ do you think with 2 clowns and 1 DB, can I now put in Anthias Ventralis?
They should be OK with those fish, but I find it hard to recommend ventralis in any tank.

They are an expensive fish but I doubt you will find many people who has been able to kee them alive for any length of time - and I am talking more than 6 months.

They are a deep water fish (which is one of the reasons why they are expensive) that live with dim lighting, with lots of plankton in the water column so that they can constantly feed, and in high numbers to limit agression amongst themselves. I doubt that many people are able/prepared to provide any of these requirements. They are also known jumpers.

Please do your research before purchasing any fish such as these.

I know that @MTG had some - Matt, anything to add? Would you get them again?

jart

Apr 10, 2015
Hi All,

As I only have time to return it to store on the weekend, do you reckon YT be okay in the breeding box for another 5 days?
Potato
Congrats on your new fish. Hope it continues to settle in well. One good suggestion I had seen/read about earlier might be a solution for the above.

Use a sheet of egg crate to create a vertical partition and section off area in the corner of your DT. This will likely be a much larger volume than your breeder box and Will be more suitable for your YT for 5 days. Or have seen others use a chamber in their sump?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ventralis are almost impossible to keep alive and im yet to see anyone have them longer then 12-24 months. since then the hobby has cut back on selling them i have noticed i wouldn't recommend them unless you were dedicated on making them survive.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you're not willing to keep a steady supply of food available for the ventralis, they're MUCH better left in the ocean. There are quite a few better Anthias choices out there.

I don't know how it works there, but here they'll usually give you 1/2 of what the fish or invert is worth.