Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Star Fish
Hi I have little silver colour star fish like things in my tank, can anyone tell me if they are safe or a pest please

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
easy to say now, but not introducing them is the easiest solution.... :)

BUT, now that you have them - you can look into wrasse that eat them or get up each night and manually remove as many as you can.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
easy to say now, but not introducing them is the easiest solution.... :)

BUT, now that you have them - you can look into wrasse that eat them or get up each night and manually remove as many as you can.
I have a yellow wrasse in one tank but not in the other ,i have clams in there and the wrasse was picking at them

jart

Apr 10, 2015
I didn't realise that many considered them a pest. I had one as a hitchhiker in my first marine tank that split a few times. I think I ended up with 8 x 3/4/5 legged little starfish over a 6 month period.

Susan, when you say "star fish like things" how many are you talking about? If only a handful, then hopefully you can remove a few at a time and keep the population under control that way. If you mean dozens, then... :)

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have a yellow wrasse in one tank but not in the other ,i have clams in there and the wrasse was picking at them
I didn't realise that many considered them a pest. I had one as a hitchhiker in my first marine tank that split a few times. I think I ended up with 8 x 3/4/5 legged little starfish over a 6 month period.

Susan, when you say "star fish like things" how many are you talking about? If only a handful, then hopefully you can remove a few at a time and keep the population under control that way. If you mean dozens, then... :)
I would say a hand full, but hard to say as they seem to hide

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
As other have said, you need to look for them at night and remove them then. This would be easier with a red light torch.

A picture would be best once you have caught one.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yep - that's asterina stars. As mentioned above, considered by many to be a pest - but some believe are beneficial. If you had one or two kicking about I wouldn't be worried, if you are pulling 20+ out in a night, then perhaps it is an issue

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
yep - that's asterina stars. As mentioned above, considered by many to be a pest - but some believe are beneficial. If you had one or two kicking about I wouldn't be worried, if you are pulling 20+ out in a night, then perhaps it is an issue
Thanks, been pulling them out each day

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I don't worry about them in my tanks, they eat nuisance algae. If you want to keep them in check, you'll need a few Bumblebee shrimp to eat them. You can't put them in the tank with the wrasse.