Reef Discussion

jstojkovski

May 13, 2013
Wollongong
Star Fish In Nano?
Thinking of adding a blue star fish into my 90L nano reef tank. Just a few concerns I've had are
-Are they hard to keep?
-How large do they grow? Will it out grow the tank?
-what do they eat?
-Where do they like to stay in the tank?

Any other information that anyone ones has regarding keeping starfish I'd love to hear. If you know of one that will be suitable for a nano if the blue linckia one isn't, please list the name.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
A large brittle star would be your best bet if you want to have long term success. Starfish are very tricky to keep successfully, it can take quite a few months for them to starve & its impossible to tell if they are doing ok until its too late. The only species I would personally recommend are Fromia starfish because with patience, you can hand feed them meaty foods. Do as much reading as you can online about how to handle, acclimatise, keep and handfeed before you buy one because they are easily killed (speaking from experience).

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
A large brittle star would be your best bet if you want to have long term success. Starfish are very tricky to keep successfully, it can take quite a few months for them to starve & its impossible to tell if they are doing ok until its too late. The only species I would personally recommend are Fromia starfish because with patience, you can hand feed them meaty foods. Do as much reading as you can online about how to handle, acclimatise, keep and handfeed before you buy one because they are easily killed (speaking from experience).
Agree with this. At best you should look for a brittle, at worst a small fromia. Definitely not a linckia