Reef Discussion

Mar 1, 2014
Squirts
Hello guys,
My tank is only young and some rock I had bough has a firm fleshed mass that has two vents that open and close. My LFS said it was a squirt. Now I have my wave maker in there I have not seen it open up at all. Can anyone give me a rough rundown of how they like to live.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sea squits, or ascidians, are filter feeders and may not like being blasted by fast moving water from a wavemaker. Once they mature they are sessile - if the can't feed properly because of the water movement then they are likely to die (this is an educated guess rather than factual :) )

Not sure how readily they reproduce in an aquarium environment but I have had lots appear over the years although mostly in lower flow and darker areas of the tank.

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks. I is the same colour as the rock and didn't notice until I had finished my aquascaping. As it always is it is a large piece that is important to the structure.
The ones in the LFS were cream and pink. Very pretty but I will try to move this ugly little guy today. Thanks and any more info is welcome