News

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Spring 2014 Tank Of The Quarter
The Reefuge and Ultra Coral Australia are proud to present and congratulate TOTQ to John Duodos (VP Reef)

Tank size and start up date
Display tank:

• 1350 litres
  • 2440mm Long x 765mm Wide x 730mm high (96x30x28.5")
  • Starfire Glass for front and two sides.
Sump:
The sump is a custom built 6ft x 2ft x 2ft (180 gallon) tank with changeable filter sock section and three partitions to house skimmer, reactor and return pump. Built into the sump is a 100 litre RO reservoir.

Equipment used
  • Royal exclusive Super Marin 250 Skimmer
  • 4 x Radion Pro G3's LED modules
  • 4 x Tunze 6205 Stream pumps
  • Tunze Return pump
  • Georeef Custom made Calcium Reator
  • Tunze Ozmolator
  • 2 x 300W Eheim heaters
  • Aquatwist 55W UV Sterilizer
  • Reef Dynamics 1000 Biopellet Reactor
Maintenance regime
I try and keep it as simple as I can in this area. I perform a 10-15% water change every fortnight using Instant Ocean salt. I mix this up overnight in a 200L tub located in my laundry. The tank water is siphoned down a drain out the window. Topping back up is via a pump in the laundry tub connected to a hose, which I wind out to the tank. Quite simple and only takes about 30min a fortnight and avoids any heavy lifting which is great for me as I have a back condition.

Top up the Calcium reactor as required. Co2 is topped up approx every 7 months (7.8KG)

The top-up reservoir gets filled once a week directly from my RO unit via air tubing which I wind out to the tank … nice and simple.

I clean the glass front and sides every 3 - 4 days, Back glass has been neglected as my Anemone would sulk every time i scraped it.

Skimmer pump and Tunze pumps are cleaned at the six-month mark.

Advise/lesson learnt/mistakes made
Best advice is everything takes time in this hobby, don't ever rush it.
Keep everything as simple as you can and keep your hands out of the tank.
Also always make sure you see any fish you buy feeding at the shop before purchasing!

Acknowledgements
Big thank you to my wife for supporting me and to my fellow reefers who share my passion. I would like to thank Reeflections Aquarium who has provided me with endless advice and awesome quality stock. Also thanks to NIC at Ultra Corals who provides the best quality stock in the country!

For more information, photos and videos of this stunning tank please check out John's Tank Journal
http://thereefuge.com/g/vps-1400l-reef.45/

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So thats who bought the tracky i missed out on from @UCA :p

Congratulations, glad to see we have the TOTX's running again :)

Thanks to @UCA and lets look forward to the next one guys...I have to say it was a tight one!

ToxicMel

Jul 18, 2013
Hervey Bay
Oh, im drooling over how neat the sump is... Then I look at the other photos and just die of embarrassment. now i know why I havent updated my TJ!!!

Socrates

Feb 7, 2013
Melbourne
The Reefuge and Ultra Coral Australia are proud to present and congratulate TOTQ to John Duodos (VP Reef)

Tank size and start up date
Display tank:

• 1350 litres
  • 2440mm Long x 765mm Wide x 730mm high (96x30x28.5")
  • Starfire Glass for front and two sides.
Sump:
The sump is a custom built 6ft x 2ft x 2ft (180 gallon) tank with changeable filter sock section and three partitions to house skimmer, reactor and return pump. Built into the sump is a 100 litre RO reservoir.

Equipment used
  • Royal exclusive Super Marin 250 Skimmer
  • 4 x Radion Pro G3's LED modules
  • 4 x Tunze 6205 Stream pumps
  • Tunze Return pump
  • Georeef Custom made Calcium Reator
  • Tunze Ozmolator
  • 2 x 300W Eheim heaters
  • Aquatwist 55W UV Sterilizer
  • Reef Dynamics 1000 Biopellet Reactor
Maintenance regime
I try and keep it as simple as I can in this area. I perform a 10-15% water change every fortnight using Instant Ocean salt. I mix this up overnight in a 200L tub located in my laundry. The tank water is siphoned down a drain out the window. Topping back up is via a pump in the laundry tub connected to a hose, which I wind out to the tank. Quite simple and only takes about 30min a fortnight and avoids any heavy lifting which is great for me as I have a back condition.

Top up the Calcium reactor as required. Co2 is topped up approx every 7 months (7.8KG)

The top-up reservoir gets filled once a week directly from my RO unit via air tubing which I wind out to the tank … nice and simple.

I clean the glass front and sides every 3 - 4 days, Back glass has been neglected as my Anemone would sulk every time i scraped it.

Skimmer pump and Tunze pumps are cleaned at the six-month mark.

Advise/lesson learnt/mistakes made
Best advice is everything takes time in this hobby, don't ever rush it.
Keep everything as simple as you can and keep your hands out of the tank.
Also always make sure you see any fish you buy feeding at the shop before purchasing!

Acknowledgements
Big thank you to my wife for supporting me and to my fellow reefers who share my passion. I would like to thank Reeflections Aquarium who has provided me with endless advice and awesome quality stock. Also thanks to NIC at Ultra Corals who provides the best quality stock in the country!

For more information, photos and videos of this stunning tank please check out John's Tank Journal
http://thereefuge.com/g/vps-1400l-reef.45/
I have seen it and its amazing. Well done mate. A great dhow piece!