Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Species of Dottyback I haven't seen before
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this link:
http://www.oceanarium.com.au/item.toy?iid=558280

neon db.JPG

I made a coral order with Oceanarium this week and I noticed these dottybacks advertised for sale. I'm so impressed with the fish that are being bred in captivity now - things have come a long way since last time I checked!

Megan

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Never seen those before either, have you ever kept one or seen one for sale?

Dottyback's look aggressive the way they move but I've never kept one or sat and watched one at an LFS

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Yea I used to work for the wholesaler who capture's them. I've seen a Oblique take over half of a 5x2x2. The only thing allowed into his territory was a cleaner shrimp.. Some dotties aren't as agro as others, but they still have a bit of spunk to them if they feel the need.. Ones I've found to be the less aggressive ones are royals, black caps and orchids. The more aggressive ones are the bigger ones particularly the queensland and the oblique.. Not sure how those one you've found would be, tho I would assume caution and say there probably fairly aggressive

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Saw the one you're talking about at an LFS in Sydney a couple of months back Megan- had to resist the very strong urge to get him as I have a royal dottyback already.Neons are supposed to be quite aggressive- read some reports of them making a beeline straight for the shrimps etc. Really beautiful fish though and seemed to have lots of personality

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
With most Pseudochromis you take a bit of a risk as they can be aggressive and/or territorial. That being said, I have found the orchids to be relatively peaceful, and a great looking fish, and would get one again.

The neon is a nice looking fish and the oblique is sensational - never heard of them before.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
darren has a pair tank bred in a small tank with multiple other fish with ZERO agression. could tank bred be less agressive?
my orchid dotty-back is rather aggressive!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Not sure how many generations it takes to change the natural tendencies of a fish but I would think that tank bred would be less aggressive as they grow up without having to defend a territory to survive.

I have had two orchids and neither have bothered any other fish - my royal however was a total bastard;)

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Glad you like them Megan :D

They are new to us as well so still learning but showing great promise. We have found them easy to pair 100% so far with out issue whereas the orchards are much harder to pair up and then even a breeding pair will sometime turn on each other. We also keep them as a group without aggression. I even have one 90 cm tank with a pair of neons and orchards co existing.