Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Spawning Marine Fish - Mandarin Dragonetts
Hi Guys,

Just thought that I would share this video of my Mandarin Dragonetts courting and spawning. This pair spawn approximtely every 2nd week. They are in a 120 L nano with 4 Blue-eyed cardinalfish, a breeding pair of Royal Grammas, and a breeding pair of Percula Clownfish. These fish have been weaned onto frozen mysis shrimp. The fish that share the tank with these dragonetts are non-agressive feeders so that the dragonetts have plenty of time to "hoover up" the food.

Enjoy.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I have heard mandarins are nearly impossible to raise? one bloke I know who has had minimal success reckons the biggest problem is feeding. he beleives rotifers are to big? thoughts?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes, I agree, rotifers are too large, however there are dwarf forms of rotifers and I believe that mandarins have been raised on these. I will have to se if I can track down a dwarm form. Alternatively, I may have to try and Isolate a tiny form of marine plankton that I can culture in large enough numbers to raise the fry. I believe that I will facethge same hurdle in raising the 6 line wrasses also.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
if you can find a dwarf form of rotifer you might be alright as from what I understand the fry of mandarin are somewhere between the .3 of a mm to .8 of a mm. which is tiny, even smaller then a pin head. I will be interested to see how you go with them anyways, the mandarins are one of my favourite fish! problem being that the only LFS that sells them is asking around the $50-$75 mark!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I payed $50 each for mine and it was touch and go for a while until they started to take mysis. Now they are industructable!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
awesome! I have scouted them on the net for $35 somewhere but cant remember where for the life of me! if you can get access to the whole salers you can pick em up for $15 approx. not to mention the other species you can get too.