Off-Topic

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Spam - not the type you eat
So it's coming up to the silly season.
Why do we get more spam emails now !
I have had the same email for many years and the provider does a great job for a freebie at blocking 80% of spam emails.

So I get another one today that says click a link to stop receiving emails.
Then the message says "You have been unsubscribed and will shortly receive a confirmation email" WTF?!?!
Isn't that why I just clicked the link?
To stop getting emails !!!!

Maybe all those years of subscribing my mates up to all those deals at shopping centers has come to bite me :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I know what you mean, we got hacked at work yesterday - someone was sending spam to everyone else's work addresses using a few of the company email. I also got an email from the Kingdom of Thailand saying I'd won the lottery! Love those ones

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So I get another one today that says click a link to stop receiving emails.
Then the message says "You have been unsubscribed and will shortly receive a confirmation email" WTF?!?!
Isn't that why I just clicked the link?
To stop getting emails !!!!
I would not recommend that you ever click these links - spammers work by sending emails to millions of email addresses, many of which may not even exist. By clicking the link you have now let them know that yours is a real address - you can now look forward to more spam:(

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I must be pretty lucky, with Gmail i am lucky to have one go through to the inbox every month or so, but I have noticed the 7 days spam bin number for from 200 odd to high 300's lately

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Spam is an increasing threat of online security , the amount of virus s I have to remove every week from someone clicking on the "you have a package from dhl" emails !! It's getting ridiculous ! It's good for me tho !!

I dont mind the emails.. ive got all the blokes in the office trained to be suspicious of most emails.. i spend more time confirming that its spam before they click it than fixing the trauma afterwards.. what really F's me off though is the spam faxes!!!!

we get about 4 a day and some bright spark here thought it would be a great idea to get an ink jet multifunction HP fax machine.. which since its not connected to a computer cant be forced to print using black only.. so now i have an ink jet printer spitting out four pages of VERY black spam faxes.. and even though they are sent in black and white it still uses all 4 inks to produce it.. !!!!!!!

Spam faxes should be made illegal from an environmental stand point.. at least emails dont waste paper.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I take the time to go to the nofax.com.au or whatever the website is at the bottom of those faxes and remove the businesses fax number. I let a stack accumulate then spend 10 minutes unsubscribing us every month or so. Over time the number we were receiving went down significantly.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Years ago when I worked for myself, I had a fax machine in the office (which was the room next to my bedroom). Every bloody night, fax spam. I had one of those thermal ribbon jobs, so instead of thermal paper you had a big black ribbon in it. Horrible. And the noise - would wake me up. Austel requirements meant it had to ring at least twice before answering. The model I had didn't have a volume control either :(

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Years ago when I worked for myself, I had a fax machine in the office (which was the room next to my bedroom). Every bloody night, fax spam. I had one of those thermal ribbon jobs, so instead of thermal paper you had a big black ribbon in it. Horrible. And the noise - would wake me up. Austel requirements meant it had to ring at least twice before answering. The model I had didn't have a volume control either :(
:eek that would send me crazy

Ahhh yes.. the old 2 ring rule.. its because they didn't always manage to catch the charge if the fax machine answered in half a ring or less.. :)
Used to be called Toll saver.. and it meant the fax machine picked up the instant it rang.. and the sending (paying) party would gamble on the fact that they didn't get charged for the call.. mind you this is back in the days where faxes were brand new technology and used to run side by side with a TELEX machine.. :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
I hate the spam fax! so much in fact, that I return fax it to the sender every time I walk past the fax. I have been known to call the party offering the service & just let them no I called for no particular reason other then to waste 5 mins of their time & ask if they want to buy some tyres? They dont like that? I love sending the fax bomb when I'm having a bad day & want to piss someone else off. It's funny when they call & say "can you please stop faxing us!, your wasting all the paper & ink" HAHAHA, like It's ok for you to send me a fax everyday offering a weeks Holiday in Thailand for $99 or a coffee machine for free!
For anyone who does not know what a fax bomb is== stop your fax half way when the sheet of paper is half in & half out, tape a few more sheets onto each end of the one in the machine, tape the ends of them together to make a full three page loop, dial the number, hit send, walk out for the night. With any luck over night you will run their fax out of paper or ink & full the memory up. :)