Reef Discussion

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Something in my Torch
Hi Guys

I have a little creature in my torch.
I have never seen in leave but I often see two pinchers coming out and what looks to be a little face.

Any one know what it might be?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
could be an acropora crab, xenia crab or a porceline crab (these species live symbotically with corals/anemones). Unlikely to be a mantis shrimp unless it is living in a hole within the coral base. Need a picture or a description of colour, etc to identify.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think I know what Talmier is talking about - I have something similar living in my candy cane. Between a number of the coral heads there are small holes, approximately 3mm diameter, in which something is living and feeds at night. I actually think it is gradually killing the coral head by burrowing into the skeleton of the coral. I tried to take a photo a few weeks ago but not very successfully. I don't think it is a crab but more likely a worm of some sort??

Does this sound similar Talmier?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I had something that sounds similar in a gonopora. At first I thought that it was a barnicle (the strainer-like feeding legs). However, when I removed it, it was a polychaete worm that had a biolumenescent section the the "net"

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have Identified the worm that I had as Pherusa sp. These polychaetes have photonic crystal fiber hairs. Below is a photo that I found on the net. This is what I would see protuding from the hole in the coral.

worm.jpg

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cool colours in that pic, dont know how good it would be for the coral though!

taimer, do the pincers look like they are hard or softer? pictures definately help but sometimes getting shots of tiny things that move are nearly impossible!