Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Snails Dead And Water Parameters Are Perfect...
Hey guys. I can see one of my nassarius snails under the leather coral on its side. I fed the tank tonight and none of the snails came out to eat. There are 4 of them all up.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I did however find the shed shell of a crab in there. Is it possible that he is killing/injuring them?
I have no idea what is happening as the fish and coral are very happy. I would appreciate any help :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Could be the crab, could be that the nass snails starved ... 4 in a small tank means they won't get much to eat other than what you deliberately feed them.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'd bet on starvation more than the crab because your tank is still quite new. You might find the remaining 3 are all well and good. Mine don't show themselves very often but they are in there. Have you found the shells of the other 3?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
could also be from lack of oxygen in the edge (dont get good gas exchange) how much surface area comes into contact with air and how much surface agitation do you have? could also be a crab tho!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
just re read and noticed they are nas snails id be saying starvations a high possibility!

Albino

Feb 23, 2013
Have you got pep shrimp? Mine eat baby snails some times. If they were hungry enough they might go a nas.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Aaanyway (stop picking on little Matty!).... have you found the others @Dynamic ?
My main question would be, at feeding time, does the food get a chance to reach the bottom and settle on the sand? Sounds like you've already been watching this happen & they come out and eat it?