Reef Discussion

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
snails - collected from local area?
gday reefers :)

another quick question. I was thinking, where I am going to collect salt water, I have been told that ya can find lots of different types of snails.

so questions -

is it legal to collect a couple of snails from a natural enivronment?
should I avoid any type of snail (as in can they become a pest more than a help if they are the wrong sp.)?
can they carry other unwanted things to a tank (as in any pests, diseases, hitchhikers. I realise that there is some sort of risk to every sort of wild collection)?

I am asking as I dont want to do the wrong thing in regards to collecting from the wild, dont want to take anything ILLEGAL, and am just being overly cautious.

I dont expect anyone to get pics of snails that are good, bad etc. just a couple of answers or leads and I will do the info hunting myself.

Jamie :)

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Check out this site Jamie, it will give you a few species kickin around along the east cost.. As for collection, as long as you don't collect from within a national park or other "protected" environment (including Marine Park zones, yes many of them do extend into the shoreline) you shouldn't have a problem.. If you have any queries contact your local Dept. of fisheries for regs :)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I dont about the rest of Aus but inSA it is an offence to take any thing from the "intertidal zone" which is the area between high and low tide marks. It might pay to contact the fisheries dept or the EPA or something to get the low down from the horses mouth!

I read somewhere (prob MASA) that in QLD you are allowed to collect a (very) limited number of each individual species for private collection but dont take my word for it!