Reef Discussion

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Snail Id Please
Noticed that my turbo snails were spawning tonight which got me thinking about the other two snails that were given to me by a local coral collector about 4 years ago. These guys had spawned some time ago and now I have more babies than i can count. Would love to put a name to them.
Only have my phone to take pics sorry.
20161018_211317.jpg

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
It's a Limpet. I'm not sure which species without some vague idea of where it came from originally and much picture comparison...

http://australianmuseum.net.au/limpets
Thanks I will do some research... It would have been collected from around the whitsundays. I was given it when I first started into the hobby and asked about clean up crew... he reached into one of his seven large holding pools and said "here these guys work great"

E

ezza

@Col81 i have been collecting limpets and other shells and stars from my local rockpool for the same reason. I have been deeply impressed by their efforts and total algae scouring in some places in my tank.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
@ezza my kids use to do the same when I was away working...I would come home to about 30+ blue and yellow leg hermits and hundreds of nassi snails, the bed would look like quick sand.
I have always been fond of the limpets I have and now to be hundreds....from what I just read I think they would be deeper water limpets, larger and higher shell instead of small and flat.
These guys have a shell shaped like a smurf hat the size and height of a 10 cent peice.

Last edited:
E

ezza

@ezza my kids use to do the same when I was away working...I would come home to about 30+ blue and yellow leg hermits and hundreds of nassi snails, the bed would look like quick sand.
I have always been fond of the limpets I have and now to be hundreds....from what I just read I think they would be deeper water limpets, larger and higher shell instead of small and flat.
These guys have a shell shaped like a smurf hat the size and height of a 10 cent peice.
Yes I saw that, there is a species in NSW very similar but apparently it is only found in two places so it can't be the same. I'll keep looking out of interest.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Bugger.. better take back the maori wrasse :rofl
The things my kids bought home never did stay..never enjoyed fishing for them in the tank... they were young and thought they were helping dad out..........
Does anyone know how it works...eg.. I have baby snails and limpets that were tank bred... does this mean I have to have a license of some description?

Last edited: