Reef Discussion

Smac

Oct 20, 2014
Newcastle
Snail I.d
Hi hoping for some help with some snails that i found as HH in live rock. all are currently 1cm or less.

1.Brown shell, Greeny yellow skin with black dots, long proboscis
PA220016.JPG

2. White Red yellow shell, white skin with orange highlights, long proboscis
PA220021.JPG

3.Green Shell Brown stripes, white/grey skin
PA220019.JPG

Any info muchly appreciated.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
1. drupella, A bad boy coralivour
2. not sure of the name but an algae eater and a good guy
3.turbo snail algaevour and good guy

Smac

Oct 20, 2014
Newcastle
Cheers Oceanarium,

First 2 can be trigger food. do you think the 3rd guy are a nano turbo? went to a LFS today and they had the exact same guys, said they don't get any larger then 1-2cm

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Only the first one is a bad snail 2nd is good.

Those turbo with adequate food will grow to 3-4cm normally. In a display when they are breeding the population is stunted at 1-1.5cm due to the limited resources.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi hoping for some help with some snails that i found as HH in live rock. all are currently 1cm or less.

1.Brown shell, Greeny yellow skin with black dots, long proboscis
View attachment 44734

2. White Red yellow shell, white skin with orange highlights, long proboscis
View attachment 44736

3.Green Shell Brown stripes, white/grey skin
View attachment 44735

Any info muchly appreciated.
The split tail on no. 1 makes me think that it is a species of Nassarius, but not 100% sure of this.
No. 2 appears to be a species of dove snail, perhaps a species in the genus Pyrene.
No. 3 is a turbo snail.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
The split tail on no. 1 makes me think that it is a species of Nassarius, but not 100% sure of this.
No. 2 appears to be a species of dove snail, perhaps a species in the genus Pyrene.
No. 3 is a turbo snail.
Thanks doc i have those dove snails breeding and never seen an ID on them till now :)

Pretty sure # 1 is a Drupella plus Nassarius are rare as LR hitchhikers. If it is not drupella my next best would be a snail killer whelk.

Smac

Oct 20, 2014
Newcastle
thanks guys,

so what do you guys think will be best for my nano,guessing turbos aren't appropriate due to there size.

was discussing with doc

3 nassi snails and
6 herbivorour snails cant pick (turbo/dove or trochus)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
thanks guys,

so what do you guys think will be best for my nano,guessing turbos aren't appropriate due to there size.

was discussing with doc

3 nassi snails and
6 herbivorour snails cant pick (turbo/dove or trochus)
Torchus get quite large. Turbos are eating machines and they don't get too large like Strombs or trochus. Doves remain small. Turbos and doves will breed, Trochus generally don't. Nass will stay in the sand bed