Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Snail differences
Can anyone tell me main differences between stroms, trochus and turbo, are some more effective..or too effective, are some harder to keep?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They do different things.

Strombs live in the sand bed and will only eat algae on the glass as far as they can reach. Trochus and turbo's will move over your rocks, glass and occasionally sand - trochus get quite a bit bigger than turbo's and can knock over corals etc.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Trochus are large and have a pyramid shaped shell. They are fantastic at stripping the tank of algae. Trochus tend to move around on your rockwork and occasionally they will feed from your glass. This is a link to an image of a trochus

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=t...&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:0&biw=1688&bih=849

Strombs tend to stay on the sandbed and have a shell shape similar to that of a cone shell. Strombs have a protrudable proboscus that they used to vaccume up diatoms and algae of the snadbed. Very occasionaly they will climb the rockwork. Strombs are great at cleaning the sandbes and because they often bury in the sandbet, they aregood at stiring it up and aerating it. Below is a link to an image of a stromb

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=s...0&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&biw=1688&bih=849

Turbo snails are smaller than Trochus and have a spirally arranged shell. In addition, they have a hard white opeculum on the back of their foot which they used to deal their shell. Turbos are great at eating algae that the Trochus do not eat. Below is a link to an image of a turbo.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=t...&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:27&biw=1688&bih=849

In a large reef aquarium, it is good to mix all three of these species together as each species has its preferred algal preferences. Between these three species they will usually reduce the presence of pest algae.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
WOW that big....guess that rules them out...so does that mean it's ideal to have a stromb in the sand...one only or do you get several (600 l tank)

Do the stroms eat good things that gobies/mandarins eat?

And then what have turbos on the rocks? How many do you start with?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the turbos will breed in your tank. As they have direct develoopment (no planktonic stage) their numbers can build up. The strombs will breed (as long as you have male and female strombs as the sexes are seperate in this species) but there is a planktonic stage which will not survive in the average aquarium. I have a 700L tank and I have 3 strombs (2 females and a male), three Trochus and 6 turbos. Between them, there is no algae left. In addition to the snails that I have added, there is a host of other algae eating mollusks, including several juvenile Abalonies (I also have stromella which looks like a minature abalone with a long tail). Before you purchase additonal "algae eaters" it may be wise to see what beneficial hitch-hikers arrive on your live rock.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Yes I know what you mean...so far with the LR there was a mantis shrimp which I gave to a friend, pods, baby stars (3), bristle worms (about 15mm long) varies tiny snails, tiny sponge like things and a multitude of tiny moving things...plus 2 urchins about 20mm diametre...all for free LOL

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Out of them all I like the strombus the best..can you feed them or are you relying on having detritus in the tank?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have just put 2 turbos in my tank they are really cool... I want to get a stromb or 2 also I think they are the best looking as far as snails go.

Good to know that the turbos may breed in my tank though.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
THe strombs are also my favourites, although the Trochus are by far the most efficient in terms of algae consumed.