Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Skimmer Advice
image.jpg

Could I get opinions on a skimmer please.
Got my tank running very quietly these days.
My four year old skimmer is on it's way out due to noise.
Currently looking at Tunze 9410 as that will fit the footprint of available space
(Wide 7inch 18cm length 14inch 36cm)

How quiet are these- do they hum at all?
Anyone got any experience with these?

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Coming along for the ride on this one.
Do not get a prizm! I have to build a new stand so I can get a sump to put a new skimmercin its so noisy!

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
tanks coming along nicely, i reckon make another platform but a miniature version of the right scape and have it sitting where the left scape is. would give much more depth for your tank imo bro

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
tanks coming along nicely, i reckon make another platform but a miniature version of the right scape and have it sitting where the left scape is. would give much more depth for your tank imo bro
Cheers- did not think of that idea.
The big structure has Millie's and stags, there is also bird nest island , acro tenius island, wanted to put the pocci together on a new island and do a zoa island. Kinda wanted to use Iwagami principles with five structures.
Eventually.....

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I have one, it's a pain int he ass to get just right. It is quiet, but you have to get the water level just so for it to work the way it's supposed to. Personally, I'd go Coralbox DC300, their skimmer are quiet, easy to set up and they skim better than ANY skimmer I've ever owned. They're due to start shipping them in August.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I have the 9410, and yes its super quiet. If you like tuning skimmers don't get it there is little to adjust if anything. You put it in and it just runs.

Im sure there are better ones out there however for the space it takes up its OK. I run mine without the sock attached to the outlet as it takes up too much space and do not get micro bubbles.

So does it work... ?
This is of probably little use as its an empirical measurement however I only get about ~200ml a week in the cup on a 5' tank. mixed reef 4 tangs and a couple of clowns. Although I feed sparingly and do an auto water change every day and only dose seachem Trace & Plus. If I dose with coral food Zooton & phyton the skimmer will go crazy and fill up the cup. As I am not thinking of changing it I must be happy with the 9410 :) Keep an eye out in the classified's I got mine second hand.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have the 9410, and yes its super quiet. If you like tuning skimmers don't get it there is little to adjust if anything. You put it in and it just runs.

Im sure there are better ones out there however for the space it takes up its OK. I run mine without the sock attached to the outlet as it takes up too much space and do not get micro bubbles.

So does it work... ?
This is of probably little use as its an empirical measurement however I only get about ~200ml a week in the cup on a 5' tank. mixed reef 4 tangs and a couple of clowns. Although I feed sparingly and do an auto water change every day and only dose seachem Trace & Plus. If I dose with coral food Zooton & phyton the skimmer will go crazy and fill up the cup. As I am not thinking of changing it I must be happy with the 9410 :) Keep an eye out in the classified's I got mine second hand.
Thanks for spending the time for your review.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air

So does it work... ?
I took mine apart to see if there was a part that had something wrong with it and nothing was wrong with it. My 9001 and 9004 work like champs, but this one was a pain. I think the 220V Tunze skimmers work better for some reason. I dunno, maybe I got the shit end of the stick with that skimmer, lol.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Exploring further options leading on from what @ReeferRob mentioned this model series are compact and space saving 9006. 9012 and 9016

I've seen these around for years.

Particularly the 9016 IMO would be a killer skimmer.
It seems I would need some kit part to make it work in my sump... Is that true?

The sump skimmer section has a permanent water height of 18 cm from memory.
It can fill up to 33cm in an extreme catastrophic failure of power and auto top off failure .

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Although my comments on the 9410 were neutral , I would not go the comline skimmers, I replaced a doc comline with the 9410 which is a heap better. IMO. I even upgraded the pump to a higher power 24vdc unit and the 9410 was still orders of magnitude better, I think I had a 9011, whatever one has the larger cup.

Grimz

Aug 7, 2014
Hey there,

I had a Tunze 9410 and agree with what everyone has said thus far. They seem to skim quite well, but you have no adjustment. Great if your learning or just want a skimmer to chuck it in there and forget about it. Mine wasn't that quite either....

I don't know what your budget is, but have you considered a Royal Exclusiv Mini bubble king? I'm currently running a Double Cone 180 and these skimmers are silent, amazing quality and the amount of gunk they pull out amazes me!

This should fit, so long as you have the height :)

http://www.aquabella.net.au/skimmer/mini-bubble-king-160-200/Mini Bubble King 160 VS12

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey there,

I had a Tunze 9410 and agree with what everyone has said thus far. They seem to skim quite well, but you have no adjustment. Great if your learning or just want a skimmer to chuck it in there and forget about it. Mine wasn't that quite either....

I don't know what your budget is, but have you considered a Royal Exclusiv Mini bubble king? I'm currently running a Double Cone 180 and these skimmers are silent, amazing quality and the amount of gunk they pull out amazes me!

This should fit, so long as you have the height :)

http://www.aquabella.net.au/skimmer/mini-bubble-king-160-200/Mini Bubble King 160 VS12
Cheers for the reply.
That skimmer would make my wish list any day. Would have to start saving as there is $0.47 in my fishtank funds account.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have one, it's a pain int he ass to get just right. It is quiet, but you have to get the water level just so for it to work the way it's supposed to. Personally, I'd go Coralbox DC300, their skimmer are quiet, easy to set up and they skim better than ANY skimmer I've ever owned. They're due to start shipping them in August.
Prob going to pull trigger on the DC500 this week!!!
Fits the footprint and is cheap.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Here's my problem!
The needle wheel is stuffed.View attachment 49995
I take it that's from a Tunze skimmer? It looks like their company's colour.
Prob going to pull trigger on the DC500 this week!!!
Fits the footprint and is cheap.
I don't think you'll be disappointed mate. I'm going to send Eric an email about the replacement pumps for these skimmers. He ran a 50% off sale here in the US and I got 2 of each on the shelf.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
This sort of things reminds me that I should check all my equipment on a more regular basis - I don't think I have looked at my return pump for over 3 years :eek
Totally agree!
Could have caused mass dramas for the new tank.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'll pull up the old Eheim utility pump I have in the basement. It's from 1984 and it just shit the bed about a month ago, zapped the ever loving crap out of me, lol. I need to see what's gone in it, I have to think that it's just worn out at this point. I'm curious about the longevity of these Jebao pumps and wave makers. I have a pair of WP10s that have been in service for almost 2 years now