Reef Discussion

E

ezza

Sick Fish
I think my male Anthias is on the way out. For the last couple of days he's been hanging out in hidey holes and looking ill. I wonder if the heat has been a bit much, we've managed to avoid excessive temps for the most part. The tank has been warmer than I would like, but I have been able to keep it around max 27- but for one day we didn't leave the air con on and it got to 29. I cooled it down with a fan.

So yeah, I think stress has allowed whatever is going on to happen. Not sure what to do now. He seems to have some disturbed scales on his skin now too. Wondered if someone tried to eat him.

image.jpg

My husband's Sea Penis is looking odd too. He hasn't shed for a little while but does anyone recognise what's going on with the white scar like blotches?
image.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
How long have you had the fish for? I don't think 29 degrees would be a problem for fish. I've had fish in qt with those temperatures without a problem.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, whilst 29 degrees is quite high for corals, it shouldn't be a problem for fish.

I'd say it is a disease of some sort. What are your parameters at the moment?

Do the other live stock look alright? Did you make any major changes recently?

E

ezza

He died today. I bought him a year ago. He was one of my original fish. I'm guessing it's stress from heat and the fact that the nitrates have gone down relatively swiftly (though all of my reading about nitrate reduction leans toward rapid changes over slower ones). The same sort of thing took out a few fish last year when we had a heat wave, and the tank during that week didn't go below 29! I am hoping to clean the tank tomorrow or Sunday. I'll remove some biopellets and replace the carbon. Everyone else is just fine. I even had a peppermint shrimp pop out of the rock at dinner time and eat from my fingers!