Tank Journal Archive

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Shrimp
Hi All,
a friend called to ask if I want some cute little shrimp his friend caught out on the Broadwater.
I figured thy would be the uual shrimp we catch at night off the pontoon, but out of curiosity I said sure lets go.
He was not home, but told us we can just find them in the little plastic basket hanging on the side of his pontoon.
Lo and Behold, when I opened the lid I was blown away...
There were 4 of the white blotched " Bumble Bee" shrimp (?) and one glass shrimp. One was dead. All have lost several legs, as small fish have nipped at them through the basket grill.
I got them back and did a slow acclimation, then into a Q tank on a rock.
This morning, all are still alive, but not very active. The glass shrimp has gone down off the rock and feeding off the bottom.:-)
Can anyone identify them, and suggest what to feed them to prime them up, and if I can introduce them to my tank ?
I think they are a species of Anemone shrimp, as I used to see many varieties when scuba diving, especially in Tub Anenomes.
The "Glass Shrimp" may be a male, and the 4 bigger more ornage ones his Harem - they all have the same tail markings .
Thanks
Jac

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Sam,
apparently they will take to variety of Anemones.
All still alive, and one molted last night - found the shell.

My bigger concern is the white spot. It appeared about 3 months ago... I fed them well, added Garlic and it seemed to disappear, until I noticed the Powder Brown had a few spots again. The Cleaner Wrasse ha been busy, and the spots are far less... but, in the meantime, we lost our Naso who had already become so tame, and got great color, but within 2 days he was not happy and then dead. Same thing with the Bi Color Blenny - within 2 days he was dead. !!
Most of the other fish seem fine.
From what I know and have read, there is not much I can do, as the spores reside in the sand bed. Only sure solution is to remove all fish for 90 days.. !! Not really an option now.
Hyper salinity - does it work, is it worth it ?
Any other options to eradicate it from the tank ?

A a preventative for new fish - is there anything I can do while they are still in Quarantine - dip or supplement, or treatment ????

Appreciate any advise.

Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
all powder tangs are fairly susceptible to white spot. Just gotta keep good parameters and a stress free environment and they should pull through

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Ouch.... now you are scaring me... never even heard of Viral white spot. !!!

Shrimp are doing fine - 2 have molted.
Bought a Purple nem, put him in the Q tank, and one has taken up residence.
The one I put in the DT, next to the small BTA, went walkabouts for 2 days, as best he could with several legs missing, but reappeared yesterday on the sandbed. Not moving much, but seems quite content to feed off the algae on the pebbles.

Jac

Attachments