Reef Discussion

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Shrimp ID
I found a tiny (less than 20mm) shrimp hiding in my torch coral today. It is almost entirely invisible except for the white spot on its head that extends up its eye stalks, and the eggs(i think) under its tail but these are hard to make out due to the way its hiding. I have a photo but its hard to see anything except the white spot on its head.

mystery shrimp.jpg

Does anyone know what it could be and if I should be worried about it? It doesnt appear to be bothering the torch as its still fully expanded and looking good but that doesnt mean it wont become a monster!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
There are lots of different types/colours that come under the title of anemone shrimp - I am not good enough to narrow it down to species ;)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
looks like a juvenile anemone shrimp. These species usually associate with Carpet anemone where the feed on mucus, tenticles and other stuff that the anemone eats. They shouldn't bother the torch, but just keep an eye on the torches tenticles. If they start to disapear, remove the shrimp.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
as they age, and grow larger, so too does the amount of white in the body and head. Males have less white colouration than the females. Yours look like is may be a male, the pic that MagicJ posted is that of a female.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
dr_schell

I assumed female as it appears to be "berried" or carrying eggs... I have searched the other torch in the tank to see if there is another but I cant see one.... Is it eggs that Im looking at or something else.... It looks like a creamy brown mass held under the tai, I keep red cherry shrimp in my planted tank and it looks like the egs they carry... any ideas?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
if it is carrying eggs as such a small size, then it is likely to be of the genus Periclimenes. This genus will cause no issue to your coral.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Are the eggs likely to hatch and if so are any of the young likely to survive or would they need to be reared in a special system with a specific food? I would assume they have some sort of a planktonic larval stage as most marine inverts and also a lot of fish seem to have