Tank Journal Archive

Shannon

Jul 15, 2012
Shannon's 120L 1st reef tank
Introduction: Hello, this will be my 1st marine tank

Reefing Since:Now! Will be Aug 2012 when I finally fill it

System Objectives: to learn, succeed and achieve a beautiful tank with lots of colour

Type of reef: LPS, soft corals

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: Hopefully if all goes to plan 4.8.12

Display Tank Dimensions: 600x400x600 120L

Display Lighting: 2 x T5 high-lite Blue & Marine

Stand:Juwel

Hood or Rimless: Hood,

Sump Design: sumpless

Filtration:Coral bed and live rock with regular water changes

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: Nsw

Display Water circulation: Tunze 6045

Return Pump:

Skimmer: Tunze 9002

Evaporation Top Up: Manual ro/di

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition:

Alkilinity Addition:

Magnesium Addition:

Prodibiotics Addition:

Coral Food Addition:

Attachments

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Hey Shannon, welcome to the fuge. look fowrd to an up date and pics. You will find every one very helpfull and friendly on here. Especilly if bribed with beer

Shannon

Jul 15, 2012
Hi
I filled my tank today, put live rock in, now let the fun begin!
View attachment 5910
I also noticed this guy i am trying to take a pic past the bubbles, I hope he makes it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344069871.362382.jpg

Also this blob of what looks like a boogie, and a little bulby thing near it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344069958.461937.jpg

And this red one up in the right side of the pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344070017.040199.jpg

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
coming along nicely the first pic looks like a morph but hard to tell in the other pics sorry. Dont want to be a downer but they may or may not survive the cycling in period but with luck they will. How deep have you done you sand bed?

Shannon

Jul 15, 2012
I knew they might not survive the cycling it's interesting to watch the goings on in there.
I was going to put the aragonite in today but Neil at the aquarium said to leave it for a week or so and to clean up the floor with a water change then put some in, he also mentioned that I probably won't see much of a cycle he said that I will see a slight rise and fall in the ammonia then closely followed by the nitrite, nitrate, something to do with the rocks I can't remember exactly what, I was asking so many questions today. He had them in there own tank filtered and fully covered with water, I have seen them in other shops just lying in a tank on the floor getting a spray of water.
The live rock looks great now, we'll see how they look in a week further into the cycle, and my hats off to hubby he did a great job placing them in a nice design for me.
Sorry about the poor quality pics I took them from my iPad and with those bubbles you get on the inside of the glass when you put the new water in doesn't help while trying to take a clear shot.

Shannon

Jul 15, 2012
Just a update on what's going on in this new tank.
Everyday something new appears which is very interesting nearly every time I walk past the tank I stop to have a squiz.
So far what has appeared is
Feather duster worms
A bristle worm
A crab I nearly missed it it was so very small it looks just like the Caroline algae with tiny white legs
2 snails they were tiny as well I had to look twice they had a cone looking type shell, then when I went back I couldn't see them.
There is also this blob type thing that is still there it hasn't done much.
The red and maroon looking I suppose mushrooms look great they have opened up and look better than they did a few days ago.
Also on the back of a rock which I can't quite see properly are these white looking soft tube things I can only see the ends, the tips have a different colour on them that seem to open up, or pulsate, and kind of like a bulb on the tip, I would love to see what it actually is from the back side but it's against the wall, it hasn't moved either.

The skimmer a Tunze 9002 I can't seem to get it right from what I have read they require a run in period, if I turn up the flow it bubbles high but the cup fills with water, if I turn it down nothing quite makes it to the cup I can't seem to work out how to get it right, when I turn it down it makes the bubbles but doesn't push them up high enough to flow over into the cup, I hope that makes sense.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
Probably just not enough stuff in the water column to make skimate. Not an expert on skimmers as I have only just got one as well. When you start feeding and have live stock im sure it will go off

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
With the 9002 you set it so the bubbles are just level with the bottom of the skimmer cup, leave it for a few days and you will see the gunk collecting in the cup. Once you get it close you can fine tune it by turning the screw a quarter of a turn and leave if for a few days so it can adjust.