Reef Discussion

Stretcherboy

Jul 11, 2011
gold coast
setting up my new tank
ok so today im upgrading my 25L nano to a 2ft long x 18" high x 12
i will be using the water from my old tank which will nearly 1/2 fill the new tank then im topping up with nsw . i will be using the live rock from my old tank plus another 5-10kg from another established tank so im just wondering if it will be right to put my morphs into the tank straight away or should i wait ?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Morphs are pretty adaptable. You should have a minimal cycle, if at all, so you will be fine putting them straight in. It will be just like a large water change.

When you transfer over the rock, make sure that you turn it around and swirl it under the water to remove any trapped air as this can be a killer of live rock.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
also be prepared to do a few waterchanges. id say atleast 5L a day for a week? this will help minimise any impact of amonia etc.
you will have plenty of room for more coral now!:grin

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
gday champ :D

I know budgets and money can be tight but is the 2 fter the biggest you can upgrade to? im asking as regards to stability in these smaller tanks is a little tougher and needs to be monitered more closely. if you can afford to go larger I would. if you can get over 100-140L it will be somewhat easier. just a thought anyways.

do you think it will cycle considering it is already pre established and NSW?

are you going to be running a fresh filter or using established filters?

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
How much of the Older live rock is there ?
If you only have about 10kg old and put in 10kg new i would wait ,
But if you have a fair bit of old rock and put in say 5kg at a time , I think it should be fine .
But in a 25L i cant see there being much old live rock to start with ?
What other filters do you have ?
If it was me i would wait , But You might be in a hurry ? Not be able to run both tanks for a few weeks ?

Stretcherboy

Jul 11, 2011
gold coast
ok so i set the tank up yester day I've set up I've put my morphs in and devils hand and they are all open and seem fine this morning I've tested ph,ammonia etc this morning and they were all good just the ph was slightly down at around 8.0 but other then that evrything seems fine there was a lot ov zoos and morphs and a few other corals on the new rock and the all open as well. for filter im mainly using live rock but i have set up like a weir/internal sump in my tank in the back left corner which will contain my internal protien skimmer, heater a bag of rowaphos filter wool at the top so the water will over flow run through the media and then the return pump in the bottom will pump it back into the tank. dont know how this will work but it was origanlly just a place to hide the heater but thought id try it like this just as an extra.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Sounds good. got any pictures of how you setup the weir and new tank? how did you go carrying that bin filled with water? :grin