Reef Discussion

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Seahorses - The Basics
Seahorse Aquariums

Introduction:
Seahorses have an almost mythical appeal to them and seem to captivate us, making us wonder what is really "out there" in our vast viscus world. They can make superb inhabitants to small and medium sized aquariums, and something quite unique to anything else available in the hobby.​

Tank requirements:
Tanks for seahorses will vary on their size depending on two factors:​
i) the species of seahorse being kept, as some are large (up to 30 to 35cm long) and other quite tiny (from a few centimeters and up). Therefore it is essential the species is determined before you purchase them.​
ii) the number of seahorses being kept per tank. Most people will buy a pair, however keeping them in pairs is not essential for many species. The size of the tank will determine whether you add a signle individual, a single pair, or several pairs.​
Mixing of species is not advised. Hybrids have been know to occur in closely related species. Having said this, you can absolutely keep seahorses with their allies, pipefish.​
One important note which can be quite a shock to some aquarist, is that the bigger the aquarium isn't better. It has been documented that a single pair of seahorses being kept in a 400L aquarium do not do so well as if they were kept in a 200L aquarium. The reason behind this is not understood, but has been suggested the excessive volume leaves them feeling too exposed, making them feel stressed, and potentially turning them off their food. Food is another reason why smaller aquariums work better, as there is less volume for the food to disperse in, making it easier for the seahorse to find it.​
Another note is that seahorses are very poor swimmers, and will struggle to swim against and even moderate current. Therefore excessive flow is not required. Somewhere along the lines of a freshwater aquarium turnover is all that is required, that being between 2x to 4x the total volume being turned over per hour.​

Water conditions:
Seahorses have been famed for being "delicate". In fact they are not as delicate as some corals or clams. They are quite resilient to water conditions within reason. Parameters should be kept the same as in other marine aquariums. Temperature is the main factor in keeping seahorses as some species are either from temperate (water temperatues from 14° to 18°C) or sub-tropical (water temperatures from 17° to 22°C) waters. Again knowing exactly what species you are looking at helps in this respect.​

Tank mates:
Ideally seahorses should be kept on their own, in their own species aquarium. They can potentially be mixed with small fish species such as coral gobies, hulafish, fire gobies, and pipefish. The main reason being that they are slow moving, and slow feeders. When kept with more boisterous (by seahorse standards) species they can very quickly lose out on food and become malnutritioned.​

Feeding:
This is the major factor in keeping seahorses and their allies. They require regular small feeding of anything up to once per hour. They can be fed less than this if they are not being conditioned for spawning, but still require feeding at least 4 to 5 times per day. Often newly aquired specimens will only eat live food in the form of brine shrimp. Once acclimatised they can be weaned onto frozen foods such as brine shrimp and mysis shrimp, and often the best method for feeding them is to defrost the cube in a small container along with a small amount of tank water and using a syringe or eye dropper to squirt to food directly in front of them. They do not have huge appetites so try not to overfeed or risk polluting the water.​

Breeding:
Seahorses will often breed in home aquaria if a pair is present. However, it is also common for two males to "breed" with eachother. In other words the will act the same as a male and female pair. The female takes control of the breeding ritual and deposits her eggs into the males brooding pouch, where the eggs are fertalised. The pregnant male will often not feed whilst holding the eggs. Hatching times vary between species and temperature. Upon hatching the male ejaculates (gives birth) to newly hatched young. The fry are miniature clones of the adults and most species fry will feed almost immediately. Feeding the fry presents the biggest problem as they require even smaller foods then the adults, but can be done successfully. The also require more regular feedings of around once or twice per hour. The young grow resonably quickly and many will reach approximately 1/4 of adult size in the first few weeks.​

Common species:
The most common species seen is the Kuda or Yellow Seahorse (Hippocampus kuda) which is one of the larger species growing to around 25cm long. Others include the Pot-bellied Seahorse (Hippocampus abdominalis synom bleekeri), the Short-headed Seahorse (Hippocampus breviceps), the Zebra-nosed Seahorse (Hippocampus barbouri), and the White's Seahorse (Hippocampus whiteii). The most commonly bred species is the Pot-bellied Seahorse.

Special requirements:
Other than being somewhat difficult to feed there are no real special requirements needed to keep seaahorses, other than whats outlined above. Below are some links to some great Seahorse sites.​

Seahorse Sanctuary: http://seahorsesanctuary.com.au/

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
You didn't seriously put the Seahorse society of NSW link in there.... did you read it first?

Good job with the thread though. I want a seahorse tank one day I just cant keep all the tanks I want at once!

V

'vspec'

High system load, Slow flow... easier said than done catering for it properly.
Its why I bundle ponies into the advanced category.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
It's not a particularly high load V. Your talking about an animal that does not produce quantities of waste unlike many fish, and the stocking desity is actually relatively small when you compair it to a reef system. Remember in a reef system we have to account for the bioload of the corals and invertebrates as well as the fish. Say for instance you have a 200L with two pairs of H. kuda in it the bioload is only 4 animals. If you had a 200L full of fish, corals and inverts your talking significantly higher bioload. I do agree though due to their maintenance they are more suited to the experienced aquarist, however they are possible, and have been for many years, to be maintained by relative novices. In my research it seems as though it's H. abdonminalis that is the most suitable for novices in that they are they most frequently aquacultured species that are commonly available. However they are a sub-tropical species requiring water temperatures in the high teens/low twenties to really thrive.
Interestingly the most commonly available species I get around my area (and there is only one shop in the Hastings that seems to supply Seahorses with any regularity) is H. kuda.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
brendore,
Would you belive I brought a tank off kennysabloodyfool-bay last night, specifically to setup as a seahorse tank. Your write has come at the perfect time. I look forward to your advanced seahorse course with anticipation;) and more post's from others who already these creatures.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
brendore,
Would you belive I brought a tank off kennysabloodyfool-bay last night, specifically to setup as a seahorse tank. Your write has come at the perfect time. I look forward to your advanced seahorse course with anticipation;) and more post's from others who already these creatures.
I'll start a write up on 'advanced seahorse husbandry' in the coming weeks Ken. Also you should've bloody bought my camera while you were at it :p haha

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
brendore,
Synodontis Thinking about rescuing those poor buggers from the so called LFS across the road from work?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey Sir Psycho Sexy, They have them across the road? Weill have to take a drive over and see how they are doing. If they can keep them we sure as hell can :)
Will do some homework first tho. Don't want to bugger their lives up just because we think we can.

V

'vspec'

It's not a particularly high load V. Your talking about an animal that does not produce quantities of waste unlike many fish, and the stocking desity is actually relatively small when you compair it to a reef system
True, but the general public are idiots.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not the foremost expert by any stretch, however what I would take for granted on a forward thinking front, prob wouldn't even happen from someone seeing ponies in the LFS, and impulse buying a set up.

You've said it yourself, their a social bubble grazer, that require frequent feeding patterns. The real percentage of captured vs food that floats away to settle would be high.
In a typical 'over love your pet' situation that happens with species only, combined with an actual need to provide frequently, is a recipe for disaster if your not careful. Let alone environmental concerns that have to be taken into account. ~ I've seen some absolute carnage on the pony front, everything from being minced in the propellers or intakes, to just a whole bowl of ugly wrong.

Hence, why I personally feel, it shouldn't be in the green category.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Wish I'd seen this earlier, I just posted an enormous seahorse husbandry post based on my own experiences of their care requirements in another topic. I followed all of the above information to the letter initially, but as I observed the seahorses myself I adjusted my view of their care requirements in some areas and also upgraded equipment. My recommendations for their care is purely anecdotal based on a single pair of Kuda and 2 banded pipefish that I kept.

It is important to note that if you purchase seahorses and pipefish that are captive bred from the same source, raised in the same water, you can keep multiple species together. Seahorse Sanctuary was an example of this, but they are no longer operational.

V

'vspec'

welcome Megan.

as I observed the seahorses myself I adjusted my view of their care requirements in some areas and also upgraded equipment
Bang on.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Megan your bang on as vspec said. I posted this as a basic guide only, and as my opinion as well. I'm working on a more advanced seahorse post that takes into account the variences of wild v captive ponies, brief summaries of the commonly available species and more indepth water parameters etc. And your right on about keeping different species together.. However as a 'beginner' to the seahorse world I still advise against it until you've gained more experince with them and know what to look for healthwise and husbandry wise.:)