Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Seachem
Hi I dose seachem calcium and magnesium, I have noticed seachem reef complete, can anyone tell me if you dose this as well as the others or instead of please

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Hi Susan,

it is recommended you pick only one of the products. They have different concentrations and mixing multiples, would require a more complex calculation to account for the difference in concentration, when determining the daily dosage.

Seachem has at least 3 calcium supplement products, as far as I can see and they have different concentrations of Ca. Also, Reef Calcium is Ca only and the other two (Reef Advantage Ca and Reef Complete) are Ca + Mg + Sr.
You would choose the concentration depending on price and how you dose. Usually, higher concentration is cheaper.
Also, you would pick Mg + Sr if you wish to replenish these elements without having to dose them separately. My advice in this case is to not dose unless you can test these elements.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi Susan,

it is recommended you pick only one of the products. They have different concentrations and mixing multiples, would require a more complex calculation to account for the difference in concentration, when determining the daily dosage.

Seachem has at least 3 calcium supplement products, as far as I can see and they have different concentrations of Ca. Also, Reef Calcium is Ca only and the other two (Reef Advantage Ca and Reef Complete) are Ca + Mg + Sr.
You would choose the concentration depending on price and how you dose. Usually, higher concentration is cheaper.
Also, you would pick Mg + Sr if you wish to replenish these elements without having to dose them separately. My advice in this case is to not dose unless you can test these elements.
Thanks for your help

Just mix your own... super cheap to buy and simple to mix. Calcium you use Calcium Chloride, Magnesium you use Magnesium Chloride and if you want you mix in Magnesium Sulphide and you'll have a mixture closer to that of the ocean's, for Alk you use Soda ash. All these products can be bought from Guppies online. Super cheap and you'll save a lot of money.

Calcium 1kg calcium chloride per 9 litres of RO water
Magnesium 4.2kg Magnesium Chloride per 6.6 litres of RO water
Alk mix 1.4kg Soda ash per 9 litre of RO water.

All that makes 9 litre batches each.