Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I bought on like that a few years ago - unfortunately, mine just gradually reduced in size until there was nothing left. Hopefully you will have better success.

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It is recoverable. Posted this on a FB group not long ago:

DIY Coral Recovery

There is something exciting about rescuing an nearly dead coral. It puts up a nice challenge, helps to save some money and more importantly, makes us more prepared in case it happens to one of our valuable corals.
I got this Scoly from a LFS for $5, after the seller being very reluctant to let me take it(good on him). The skeleton was broken in 3 pieces, being held only by the flesh,.

The key things are:
1. Close any holes in the tissue to avoid parasites getting in and to prevent water flow from lifting the tissue.
2. Remove sharp edged so the coral can grow over the old skeleton, without cutting itself again. This is specially important if it is a LPS with sharp skeleton.
3. Get rid of potential parasites.
4. Feed it heavily.

How (in sequence):
- Epoxy glue to put the skeleton back together and close major holes in both tissue and skeleton. Wait for it to cure and proceed.
- Plier or bone cutter to remove as much as possible of the exposed skeleton. Corals can easily grow new skeleton, but struggle to grow on top of existing skeleton.
- Either Epoxy or super glue to patch sharp edges of the remaining exposed skeleton.
- Super glue to close small holes and glue the edged of the tissue back to the skeleton. This technique also helps corals suffering from Slow Tissue Necrosis (STN).
Be careful to not close the coral's mouth with glue.
- Disinfectant dip.
- Relocation to tank with thriving corals.
- Regular feeding with frozen mysis shrimp or LPS specific pellets, util it shows signs of recovery..

afarm1.staticflickr.com_530_19484669718_6f39a5218e_z.jpg