Reef Discussion

Mar 1, 2014
Scolly Dying Help
My scolly was fine an hour ago and not it looks like it is dying from inside out.
Can someone please help
I fed it fish last night and was looking fantastic.

Attachments

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Other than the 'problem' it is looking quite good.

Was it a whole fish you fed it?

Could it have been spiked internally by a bone?

Mar 1, 2014
Other than the 'problem' it is looking quite good.

Was it a whole fish you fed it?

Could it have been spiked internally by a bone?
Yes two hours before it was perfect. Best health last night. No bones in the fish. It was just a piece of whet flesh fish. I have fed that to the whole tank and acans included.
The fish will be thrown just in case.

It gots worse when I was dipping it in revive, spewing it the mouth as well.
The lights are off in the tank and it is seeming to get back to the pic shown.

It really looked like it ate too much and it was having a belly ache and it was dying from the inside out

Mar 1, 2014
Get it off the sand mate!!! They can not remove sand them senlves. I lost one the same way.
But why are they commonly placed on the sand then. It is not coming from the mouth but next to it. They way it sits, the sore is lower left and looks like strings. Corals get them when irritated

Mar 1, 2014
I have no idea. It even had its feeding tenticles out tonight! Don't know what is going on. I just hope nothing picks on it over night.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks for the extra photo's.

What fish do you have? I wonder if a fish has taken a bite or two and the coral has then reacted to protect/repair itself?

Mar 1, 2014
I
Thanks for the extra photo's.

What fish do you have? I wonder if a fish has taken a bite or two and the coral has then reacted to protect/repair itself?
I have two average Joe clowns, kole tang, bi colour blenny and a cromis. I don't think it would be the fish. More the pep shrimp. But the damage happened during the day.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I don't mean to sound funny but that isn't just some sand on it is it? It doesn't look like skeleton in the pics

Mar 1, 2014
Hey everyone. Thank you so much for your concerns. Nice to know your out there.

So today is looking ok. Last night it had its feeders out so that is a good sign.

For those that thought it was sand I know what you mean but it's not. It is like all the stringy bits together covering the hole. No skeleton can be seen so I supose that is a good sign.

Here is a top down view. It is all puffed up as well just a little pulled in near the sore.

Not out of the woods yet

Attachments

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Could part of a coral have landed on it? Sometimes hammers can release a head?

It looks like there has been some physical damage which probably has to have come from a fish or coral.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Do you have a small, flat piece of rock you could sit it on or glue it to? That would help keep the sand off of it somewhat and get it up off the sand.

I had a pair of Scarlet Cleaners kill a bubble coral about 6 months ago. I don't know if it was already dying or they just developed a taste for it, but they picked it till it was dead.