Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Sand Stirring
Hey everyone :)

Recently did a pretty solid mix up of my sand and it looks like a fair bit of junk just came up into the water so i figure there's not enough going on in my sand.

Tank footprint is 3 foot long by 1 foot front to back with about a 3cm deep sand bed so nothing too crazy

I've got a few nass snails in there but i haven't seen them much lately but they dont seem to move around in the sand, just pick a spot go to bed for the day then pop up at night and go about their business.

Been looking into strombs and sand sifting stars recently just wondering if these are likely to be any better?

thoughts???????

Thanks

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think you tank would be a bit small for a sand sifting seastar - I reckon a stromb would work well, along with your existing nass snails.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I don't know how long your tank has been set up for, but give it time and there will be heaps of worms and things in your sand.

Just a word of warning though, my sand bed in my CADE is about 6.5cm deep and I know that if I dig down I will find the grey coloured sand, which I presume has anaerobic bacteria. I don't think I'd want to stir that up.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Mine's only shallow for that exact reason.. recently has to redo everything when my old tank started leaking. I bought some of the bristle worms from oceanarium to try and build up some life down there but I haven't seen any sign since. I have a wrasse so he might be eating them

New tanks been up 4 or so months now which had new sand, old tank was there for about 2 years

Going to head down this weekend and check of few of the local LFS for strombs but from memory the cheapest i saw was $25 which seems steep for a snail haha

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Strombs aren't cheap but they last.

Don't buy more than one for your tank size. I have only one in my CADE. Been tempted many times to buy more, but know that I should only have one.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Ended up picking up a stromb on the weekend for $13 it's already cleaned up so much of the sand what a beast!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
They can be really funny to watch, especially when they decide to climb rocks.

You might see it disappear in the sand for a couple weeks or more, but this is nothing to worry about.