Reef Discussion

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Sand beds
What do you all do ( If anything )
To keep your sand bed in good condition ?

I sometimes vac the sand bed , Other times, Like today , I pick most of it up and drop it again , Then when the water has cleared , I vac the bare bottom sump , Where most of the crap ends up in a few hours time , I used to run it through a net , But i need a new one :(

Keep in mind i don't have a deep sand bed , And i have been doing this for a while, So hopefully there isn't too much detritus released at once

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I do similar every few weeks/ months i give the sand a stir. im allways running a filter sock so it gets caught in that. i get zero build up in my bare bottom sump. wouldnt want it any other way!
usualy clean the filter sock every 3-7 days

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Sand beds are out in my new display. In my old aquarium, I would vacume the gravel in the display weekly.
I believe a DSB in sump is a time bomb counting down to tank crash day.Thats out too....

Bare bottom is not everyones taste however, I like the look.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
I believe a DSB in sump is a time bomb counting down to tank crash day.Thats out too....
That's only necessarily true if the other rudimentary maintenance required isn't being provided. Their only function is the liberating of Nitrogen and Oxygen gases from dissolved Nitrate (6(NO3) -> 3(N2) + 9(O2)) in specifics - that's the sole purpose of the increase in depth of a sandbed beyond a point where an anoxic layer would be formed... if they're being used for more then they run into serious problems. Yes, a remote affair ("DSB in a bucket") is certainly more ideal in that is just that - remote - but an in-sump one is just as safe provided it's designed and used properly. One of the problems commonly encountered is that many aren't designed properly nor maintained.

Personally, what I do depends strongly on what system it is and what I'm trying to achieve. In my old SPS tank, I employed high flow, frequent stirring/vacuuming (multiple times a week), and a large number of sand-sifting species on top of unmeasurably low nutrients. This ensured it stayed peak white. In my other tanks, effective CUC and regular vacuuming whilst doing WCs has taken care of most I've needed. As with anything... design it to meet how you intend to use it and you'll be just fine.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
I dont like the look of the bare bottom, but i do like how you can increase flow without the sand flying everywhere. I have wondered about glueing a thin layer of sand to the bottom pane of glass, effectivley making it a bare bottom with water not moving the sand however you get the look of a sand bed - but then i like all the critters that find their home in the sand so i dont think i could get rid of it :confused: